Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wait at least until my high idle drops down to normal before taking off. Sometimes it’s difficult waiting but I’ll be honest, I’m babying the car. I don’t like putting her in drive with a high idle and never aggressively take off unless fully warmed up and only if merging into traffic necessitates.

How about you?

I really love the car and certainly want to maximize its life as much possible.

Any other tips or recommendations?

Reactions: Moe

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
42 Posts
I usually start my car from the phone before getting out of the house. By the time it should be around 2-3 minutes of warming up. If I’m starting right in the car the lease would be 30 seconds, but mostly until the blue light goes away. @joeinid i feel you about babying the car and get the most life out of it.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
940 Posts
I start the engine, attach the seatbelt, check the mirrors and backup camera and back out.

Modern engines running on thin oils don't need to be warmed up and it is especially dubious with direct injection engines because fuel is more likely to wash past the rings into the crankcase when they are running cold, or idling. They will warm up faster when driven, as will CVTs and the other drive line components. Just don't drive it like you stole it until at least the temp light goes off.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great replies, thank you.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
My '18 high idles around 1800 rpm for a few minutes, depending on ambient temp. I don't wait for the idle to fall to normal curb idle. When I put the trans in D or R with the brake on, the engine idle gently drops to the 1k rpm range in about 1 second. I believe this feature is built into the ECU to prevent harsh engagement of the CVT. So, my suggestion is to start the engine, put on your seatbelt, and drive. The high initial idle takes care of itself the moment you put the trans into gear.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll have to pay attention next time when selecting drive or reverse from a cold start.

I do realize from a reliability standpoint not to shift into either while the car is moving, however slow that might be.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
I start the engine, attach the seatbelt, check the mirrors and backup camera and back out.

Modern engines running on thin oils don't need to be warmed up and it is especially dubious with direct injection engines because fuel is more likely to wash past the rings into the crankcase when they are running cold, or idling. They will warm up faster when driven, as will CVTs and the other drive line components. Just don't drive it like you stole it until at least the temp light goes off.
This topic was quite the debate point on the Crosstrek forum...

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It never occurred to me to check other forums. I would think the various car forums would be sub forums under the Subaru umbrella.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
It never occurred to me to check other forums. I would think the various car forums would be sub forums under the Subaru umbrella.
The Crosstrek forum is a ‘sister site’ to this one. I had two Crosstreks and still frequent it after I got my Forester a month ago. It’s another great resource.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
I always wait at least until my high idle drops down to normal before taking off.
Me too. By the time I get the sun shade down and stowed, my iPhone plugged in, and my seat belt on, it has dropped.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
891 Posts
I always wait at least until my high idle drops down to normal before taking off. Sometimes it’s difficult waiting but I’ll be honest, I’m babying the car. I don’t like putting her in drive with a high idle and never aggressively take off unless fully warmed up and only if merging into traffic necessitates.
I'm the same. '99 Forester A/T tranny, 230,000 miles. In the winter I'll idle it for >5 minutes before driving off. Engine's never been opened up - only replacing the TB's. I always have tranny fluid serviced more often than spec'd and it's still solid. Best.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
Winter I let ergo until blue light is off. Summer I go right away and keep revs low in manual (paddles) until blue light goes off

·
Registered
5 Posts
I start my 2010 Forester as soon as I get in the car. Seat belt, radio and I back out. I have 130 yards to the road, then a half a mile to the first stop sign. After that I have a minimum of 4 miles at 60 mph to the next stop. Slow warm up then up to full temp. Keeps the moisture out of the oil!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
In mine the blue light goes off pretty quickly at 50C, I drive about 1-2 km without driving too hard. Then I may push it for some seconds but this is done very rarely. Never had a problem with the mazda 323 before that. I don't think this is a major problem.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,964 Posts
MY 2001, start car, put on seat belt, plug phone in and go. So called warming up, only warms up coolant and does nothing for oil temperature. Oil takes 3 to 4 as long to get to operating temperature compared to coolant. That blue light only registers coolant temperature.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All great advice, thank you.

My main goal is driving gently without aggressive rpms on the odometer until I feel everything is warmed up.

It’s amazing how much better the car responds when she’s fully warmed up.

I keep short trips to a minimum and have a pretty long commute to work. About 70 miles round trip.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
MY 2001, start car, put on seat belt, plug phone in and go. So called warming up, only warms up coolant and does nothing for oil temperature. Oil takes 3 to 4 as long to get to operating temperature compared to coolant. That blue light only registers coolant temperature.
ok but how does the coolant warm up if not by contact with the engine components? And the same engine components contain the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,964 Posts
ok but how does the coolant warm up if not by contact with the engine components? And the same engine components contain the oil.
If you read carefully what I wrote you will understand. Idling to warm-up primarily heats up the coolant, oil takes 3 to 4 times as long. My point is idling for 5-10 minutes to "warm-up" does not heat the oil efficiently. Worse with the GDI engines as they produce less engine heat and combined with oil dilution with GDI idling only adds to the problem. Driving just warms everything up faster with less wear and tear.

·
Registered
7 Posts

You are right on the money. Start and drive. Barely have the rpms up unitl I hit the Freeway some ten minutes later. 35mph in residential!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts