Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum and to Subaru. So far I love it as I have always wanted one since I saw a Brat when I was a kid. Anyway, this is my problem. I think that I have put this in the wrong place so I will try to fix it. I have a 2001 Forester that has the CEL coming on at times. No running problems. I tried to pull a code with my genaric code reader and just get an error sign. It is not a scan tool just a reader. It works fine on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. Do I need a scantool or reader that is brand specific?

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought as well. The service manual I bought is on cd and is not very easy to navigate and tends to lean toward the factory scan tool. The reader that I have is very basic and I thought that possibly I might need a more advanced scantool. The car is US production and seems to run perfectly. I was a certfied factory Toyota mechanic in another life but got out the year OBD2 was introduced. My nearest dealer is 50 miles away so I am trying to figure this out without having to pay the dealer to pull the code.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Huh. weird. I'm not sure of the procedure but I belive plugging in the unit and turn on the car should be about it.....
So I agree it's weird that it don't work.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
do you have any autozones or other chain parts stores? They'll usually read codes for free and they have every sort of reader imaginable. 01 should be straight obd2. Make sure the green diagnostic connectors under the steering wheel area aren't plugged in!

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good idea. sometimes I forget that they do offer that service. I didn't know about the diag connecters and will check that next. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry. I thuoght that i had posted it in the wrong place first so I tryed to put it where it belonged. I was not trying to be deceptive or trying to mess with anybody. It was purely a mistake.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Your scanner may not have all the subaru codes, some cheaper scanners only have common/universal codes programmed into them, while many codes are manufacture specific.

Your scanner may not support Subaru either. I forget the years but some Subarus are not OBDII, even though they use a OBDII port they are SSM.

If nothing else visit the site for your scanners manufacture and see if they have a comparability list.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I'm sorry. I thuoght that i had posted it in the wrong place first so I tryed to put it where it belonged. I was not trying to be deceptive or trying to mess with anybody. It was purely a mistake.
Oh, hehe. Let the admins move it instead of trying to repost it. Works much better.

Edit: Don't take it too hard. I just wanted you to know. I'm sure one of the admins can pull it together to clean up your little mess :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
^I thought it was only european models in these years that had ssm system. But they where supposed to be changed in 2001 models anyway.
The US models are supposed to be obd2 after 96 I think. Maybe Subaru messed up on this part.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts