Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is too early to ask this question. The 14 XT is my first car with turbo.
I am just wondering generally how long/miles a turbo would last?
If you have a turbo failure in the middle of nowhere, what can you do? :rock:

For example, if a turbo would fail around 100k, if I want to avoid turbo failure during long road trips, should I replace a new turbo no matter what at 100k? I mean kind of like changing timing belt at a certain number of miles.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I am not too worried about it. Being a new design for the USDM, I bought the extended warranty just in case.

I would think replacing a turbo as part of preventative maintenance would be a bit excessive. If it fails you can probably hobble it to a shop... the engine should run alright just be very underpowered.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
86 Posts
I blew the turbo in my 3rd gen rx-7 at 62K miles.. the car was tracked often and boosted hard so no surprise. Like Josh said it's still drivable ..just underpowered…. then again you don't want the wheels flying off into the engine either, but this would be a highly unlikely failure although I have heard of it in the rx-7 world.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
630 Posts
My primary cars since 1991 have been Mazda & Subaru turbos. Not any trouble at all, both unmodified, which can make a difference. Buy without fear.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6-speed manual
111 Posts
My '02 WRX was still on its original turbo at 180k miles when I sold it. The car still ran like new in every way.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,108 Posts
100 years and counting

Turbo Chargers have been around for over 100 years. It isn't new technology. However, the computer engine controls of today are the difference between the turbo charged cars of the Eighty's. Simply put just change your oil when you're suppose to and you won't have any problems. Also stay away from Seafoaming your engine.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Turbo Chargers have been around for over 100 years. It isn't new technology. However, the computer engine controls of today are the difference between the turbo charged cars of the Eighty's. Simply put just change your oil when you're suppose to and you won't have any problems. Also stay away from Seafoaming your engine.
+11111111111.....keep up on the oil changes/checks......and enjoy the boost whenever you need to.....:banana:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I know it is too early to ask this question. The 14 XT is my first car with turbo.
I am just wondering generally how long/miles a turbo would last?
If you have a turbo failure in the middle of nowhere, what can you do? :rock:

For example, if a turbo would fail around 100k, if I want to avoid turbo failure during long road trips, should I replace a new turbo no matter what at 100k? I mean kind of like changing timing belt at a certain number of miles.
Why worry about just the turbo? What about your radiator popping in the middle of nowhere? Or a water pump failure? Or a major sensor crapping out and disabling the car? Those parts are on any car, not just a turbo model, and are they really any less likely to fail? With all of the modern automotive complexities you could talk yourself out of buying any car, or taking road trips altogether if you think this way.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I disagree about the Seafoaming, but completely agree about the oil changes. (don't need SeaFoam until the engine is much, much older anyway)

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
22 Posts
My WRX has 93k miles on it and it's been on road trips, commutes, autocross, rallycross, and tuned. It's never given me a single problem. Like everyone has said, just make sure the regular maintenance is done and you'll be fine. My XT doesn't even have 1k miles on it yet and I'm not worried haha.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My WRX has 93k miles on it and it's been on road trips, commutes, autocross, rallycross, and tuned. It's never given me a single problem. Like everyone has said, just make sure the regular maintenance is done and you'll be fine. My XT doesn't even have 1k miles on it yet and I'm not worried haha.
My fault. I should not start this thread :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I feel like I've noticed a trend on here of turbos failing around 150k on 04 & 05 xt's due to clogged banjo bolt screens. From what I gather 06+ don't have this issue.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
I feel like I've noticed a trend on here of turbos failing around 150k on 04 & 05 xt's due to clogged banjo bolt screens. From what I gather 06+ don't have this issue.
The banjo bolt screens were affecting the variable valve timing oil pressure NOT the turbo. There was a Subaru bulletin, and a write up by Peaty, on how to remove the screens which most people did without issue.

I traded my '04 XT at 162k miles without a turbo issue (running Cobb stage 2.)

As Silke pointed out there are many more points of failure than just the turbo. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
81 Posts
This is my 6th turbocharged car since 1984. Never had an issue with a turbo on any of them.

The only issue I am watching out for on this car is intake valve carbon buildup because of the direct injection. I believe the design of the new crankcase ventilation system on the 14 XT should minimize problems. Not jumping off the throttle too quickly should help prevent this.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts