Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I admit I'm a crazy driver. I drive fast, I turn fast, but I always keep my horseplay out of other drivers' hair and the only law I'm ever fiddling with is the speed limit (and not even into "wreckless endangerment" territory 90mph+).

But after relocating to South Orange County, there's just this enormous population of people talking on their cell phones and trying to run you over with their Escalade. Operations folks like to call them "Driving Under Incompetence." I admit it's not localized to South Orange County, as San Francisco drivers have gotten worse too. The good thing is that cops ticket you like crazy up there now for things like cell phones.

Just last night, a 07/08 Bronze Honda Civic Si cuts across three lanes without signaling and squeezes in front me, leaving me with about a foot of buffer and then he keeps riding his brakes--all when there was no cars behind me and plenty of space for him to merge at his own damn pace. I try to be nice and just high beam him instead of holding down my horn and then I move around him since he's doing 55 in front of me now while I was trying to keep 70 on the cruise control. He gets off at the same off ramp, drives at a distance behind me, then proceeds to high beam me and everyone else next to me for a good 15-20 seconds. Why is it that bad drivers think that they've done nothing wrong and that they have the right to flash or honk back? Damn their audacity!

I'm tempted to start a list here of drivers I've encountered doing the aforementioned stupid acts and other acts of negligence behind the wheel. I want to include:

-Car model
-License plates (even partials)
-Driver description

...all in hopes of having other folks avoid their stupidity. I hope the search engines and web crawlers find their plates because I know sometimes when I meet stupid drivers, I Google their plates to see if they've already been ranted about.

Ugh. Ok that's enough for now. Thinking about my co-worker busting a U into oncoming traffic with others in her vehicle and then stating that it's ok because the holy trinity keeps her safe from all harm (and I guess it doesn't care about the others?) just makes me mad. TOTAL BULL$H!T!!!

:mob:

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. I thought the same thing yesterday.

I was taking a ride to a Volvo dealer (not important) and I was in the middle of 3 lanes. Well there was a merge coming up and a Jeep Liberty starts to come over to free his lane for the oncoming cars. He was too far in front of me, and I was going a good clip faster than he, but he wasn't super close either (or so I thought; although I HATE when people get over just to get over). Yes he could have stayed in his lane and the traffic could merger fine, but instead he opted to get in front of me; whatever, no big deal.

So as he starts coming over I signal and continue at my speed into the left most lane (he is not in the center). As I pass I glance over, as I do most time I pass cars, just because. Low and behold it's this dude that just from the look you could tell he is the aggressive, "i'm gonna kick everyone's ***", and he mouth "F U" to me. Well, when i;m in a situation where people do crap like that to me (ie give me the finger, flash me, honk at me; similar to you) when i've done (IMHO) nothing wrong I slow down and proceed to with them a *** look. So I did. And this a-hole fake punches the side of his face twice, haha, as if trying to intimidate me (ie "i'm gonna kick everyone's ***"). What an asshat.

Cliffnotes: I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. I thought the same thing yesterday.

I was taking a ride to a Volvo dealer (not important) and I was in the middle of 3 lanes. Well there was a merge coming up and a Jeep Liberty starts to come over to free his lane for the oncoming cars. He was too far in front of me, and I was going a good clip faster than he, but he wasn't super close either (or so I thought; although I HATE when people get over just to get over). Yes he could have stayed in his lane and the traffic could merger fine, but instead he opted to get in front of me; whatever, no big deal.

So as he starts coming over I signal and continue at my speed into the left most lane (he is not in the center). As I pass I glance over, as I do most time I pass cars, just because. Low and behold it's this dude that just from the look you could tell he is the aggressive, "i'm gonna kick everyone's ***", and he mouth "F U" to me. Well, when i;m in a situation where people do crap like that to me (ie give me the finger, flash me, honk at me; similar to you) when i've done (IMHO) nothing wrong I slow down and proceed to with them a *** look. So I did. And this a-hole fake punches the side of his face twice, haha, as if trying to intimidate me (ie "i'm gonna kick everyone's ***"). What an asshat.

Cliffnotes: I feel your pain.

I would have just :lol: 'd at him to piss him off worse, and then sped up and left him behind. :lol: Use TEH BOOST.

There are too many to list around here, and I could honestly list our Forester's tags as one of them when my step-dad drives. He's one of those people that STOPS at the end of the on-ramp, and then floors it. Even my mom gets ticked off.

Just to give you an idea of how bad it is here. Our insurance premiums (same company, USAA) DOUBLED when we moved from Orange County, CA, to where we live in TN now. I'm not exaggerating.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Made me think... just goggled my plate #.... whew... no hits. Lol, seriously, while I do drive in a spirited fashion often, I don't do it in traffic and cut and jump around people, etc. Only when I have the road mostly to myself.

My biggest beef is the senior citizens or anyone who obstructs traffic by lolly gagging along @ 20 or 25mph on a single laned two way thoroughfare so that you are stuck behind them. This almost always happens to me at least several times a week, and usually when going to work or coming home. Just last week I'm crusing along 50 in a 35 making good time going to work, and at a side street up ahead I see aunt edna pull up to the stop sign eye me, and [email protected] if she doesn't whip in front of me headed the same direction with only maybe 1/2 block distance between us. She then slugs along 5 to 10 below the limit, variably 25 or 30mph. Its a double yellow line two way single laned thoroughfare adn there's cars coming the other way enough that I couldn't safely bust the double yellow stripe if I wanted to and pass her. I shouldn't let it bother me but I think old slow drivers are as bad as more youthful aggressive careless drivers. Where the eff does she have to be @ 7:00am anyhow, surely she retired long ago.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
I should tape a commute to work and back to home just to try and give people an idea what the hell goes on around DC. The level of stupidity on some people's part amazes me. There are times I do all I can to avoid taking 495 and other major highways. I'd rather risk deer on country roads than a soccer mom driving a 2 ton SUV or some holier-than-thou prick driving a BMW 7 series.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
651 Posts
San Francisco has the worst drivers . . .

You'd believe that it costs a dollar every time you flick your turn signal given the rarity of use here. It doesn't cost anything extra folks. It's already paid for. Use it as much as you'd like.

The solid line in the street is NOT for you to straddle - pick a side, hopefully you will choose wisely.

The middle of the street is not an appropriate place to stop to holla' at a friend on the sidewalk nor send a text nor drop off your passenger.

Just because you tie a red scarf to your load, it doesn't make it safe to haul while sticking five feet beyond your truck bed.

Merging - can't we all just get along?

At an intersection, NO one knows how to make a left turn without cutting into the lane of the car in the perpendicular, on coming lane. Go ahead and go out to the middle of the intersection and THEN turn your steering wheel to the left.

Stop means stop. Yield means yield. Cross walks mean don't run over pedestrians.

Do not play chicken with street cars. I don't care what the laws of the road say; the laws of physics say you will lose.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
So on the off-chance that someone reads this thread and comes to our little village of 4,800 people... :icon_wink:

Thinking about my co-worker busting a U into oncoming traffic with others in her vehicle and then stating that it's ok because the holy trinity keeps her safe from all harm (and I guess it doesn't care about the others?) just makes me mad.
Maybe the Holy Trinity will someday protect everyone else from her driving and have her meet with a dump truck on one of those u-turns...

Just got back from the grocery store. On the way there, the four-lane through the village drops to a two-lane after cresting the first hill, then gets a third slow-vehicle lane up a hill maybe half a mile later, then back down to a two-lane for about a 1/4 mile, and then a four-lane again into the next town. So I was cruising at 55 mph in the fast lane (yeah, shame on me - so was almost everyone else) and slowing approaching a truck towing a boat in the right lane as we were also approaching that first two-lane section. I slowed a hair just so I didn't put the squeeze on the truck, who was driving probably 53 mph. You know, trying to be polite since he's towing a load and needs to get over eventually. A Dakota pick-up comes zooming up behind me and gets really close, presumably to read my odometer. No problem, he can wait five seconds while the other truck-boat merges.

He backs off as we go down the hill (thanks) and I move over to the slow lane, like always, to go up the next hill with the passing lane. He punches it, drops a couple gears, and zooms past (had the V-8 model), and then brakes to avoid rear-ending the boat (I think I'm the only driver to ever use that slow lane). A spot opens up in the right lane so he zooms forward again to get past the truck-boat just before the slow lane goes away. Now the truck-boat had to hit his brakes since the Dakota had to brake again to avoid hitting another vehicle as he squeezed back in.

After it opened up to four-lane again, traffic spread out a bit. Still farting along at 55-58 mph, I stopped right next to the Dakota at the next stop light. Made me chuckle - all that wasted gas and inconvenience to others, and we ended up at the same place at the same time.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,096 Posts
I feel your pain, I live in a college town. :mob: I would have to list half the students here...(total of ~6k)
me too, when the students are back my BP goes up. :mob:

Not just the cars but the kids on bicycles. Believe me I always give bikes the right of way but I see them weaving in and out, not obeying any of the rules. However they will be the first to ***** and moan when a car hits them.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh students.. especially high school ones. I live by a high school in San Francisco and the kids mostly drive rice rockets and they park in front my house because I live on a block where there is no houses across from us so there is TONS of parking (until they get there that is). They always squeeze into the spots, scratch, and bump other cars.

But yeah I live in a college town now (UC Irvine) and I feel the pain again. The [email protected]$$ from last night was probably a college student (had UCI stickers and stuff).

Well, time to drive home for lunch, wish me luck.

I already started a list on my phone...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,090 Posts
seniors. (over 70yrs old)
I find a lot of senior drivers reaction to be very.. (i mean VERY) slow.. also very hesitant to make a decision.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ah how expected.. an a$$ on the way home.

-2008 Mercedes ML350 SUV Black.
-xxxxxxxx
-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-Turning off 405 @ Jeffrey/University, driver encroached in my lane during left turn onto eastbound Jeffrey (basically not turning into own left most lane from left most turn lane), almost smashing into my driver fender, but went back into own lane but subsequently cut me off with no signaling to pass slow 2010 Honda Insight that she was following.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
Bad drivers? How about tail-gaters. Driving 15 MPH over the posted speed limit on a typical Pennsylvania two-lane blacktop isn't fast enough for these Dale Earnhardt wanna-be's, so they park their Power Stroke grille about a foot off your back bumper, headlights just about even with the middle of your rear view mirror.

Yanno, one way to deal with the problem would be:

YouTube - car flame thrower

I'd aim 'em a tad lower though...

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,639 Posts
...And this a-hole fake punches the side of his face twice.....What an asshat.
heheheha. He showed you Todd!

If I were to make a list of people doing bad/dumb/dangerous things on the road I wouldn't have time to do anything else! hehe.

I hate the people who refuse to use blinkers.

I hate the people who refuse to relinquish the "fast" lane. No matter what. Ever.

I hate the people who ride my arse even though there are 100,000,602 cars ahead of me and there is nothing I can do to make them move any faster.

I hate the people who drive fast through parking lots. That is an accident just waiting to happen.

I could go on and on...

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
College towns are the worst for terrible drivers...not to mention break weekends trying to deal with every one going home!
Yes, the biggest part that sucks is the rush on the hour (when classes are done) and when breaks come up, pl are like OMGWTFBBQIMUSTTAILGATEYOUANDTRYTOHITPEDESTRIANS. It is quite scary.

me too, when the students are back my BP goes up. :mob:

Not just the cars but the kids on bicycles. Believe me I always give bikes the right of way but I see them weaving in and out, not obeying any of the rules. However they will be the first to ***** and moan when a car hits them.
Yeah I swear its somehing in the water...but the thing is I am cool and collected, usually takes a lo to get to me. But when I get cut off every 5 seconds I start taking defensive moves (I drove slower on purpose to piss sped demons off lol).

Ugh students.. especially high school ones. I live by a high school in San Francisco and the kids mostly drive rice rockets and they park in front my house because I live on a block where there is no houses across from us so there is TONS of parking (until they get there that is). They always squeeze into the spots, scratch, and bump other cars.

But yeah I live in a college town now (UC Irvine) and I feel the pain again. The [email protected]$$ from last night was probably a college student (had UCI stickers and stuff).

Well, time to drive home for lunch, wish me luck.

I already started a list on my phone...

Yeah its especially bad here because there IS NOT enough parking for the cars that are registered, they over register parking, allow too many faculty spots to be left open, and this results in driving around for 15 minutes to find the last spot 3/4 mile from your class. TBH high schoolers are a breeze compared to the dumbassery here...

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
heheheha. He showed you Todd!

If I were to make a list of people doing bad/dumb/dangerous things on the road I wouldn't have time to do anything else! hehe.

I hate the people who refuse to use blinkers.

I hate the people who refuse to relinquish the "fast" lane. No matter what. Ever.

I hate the people who ride my arse even though there are 100,000,602 cars ahead of me and there is nothing I can do to make them move any faster.

I hate the people who drive fast through parking lots. That is an accident just waiting to happen.

I could go on and on...
Amen.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
San Francisco has the worst drivers . . .

You'd believe that it costs a dollar every time you flick your turn signal given the rarity of use here. It doesn't cost anything extra folks. It's already paid for. Use it as much as you'd like.

The solid line in the street is NOT for you to straddle - pick a side, hopefully you will choose wisely.

The middle of the street is not an appropriate place to stop to holla' at a friend on the sidewalk nor send a text nor drop off your passenger.

Just because you tie a red scarf to your load, it doesn't make it safe to haul while sticking five feet beyond your truck bed.

Merging - can't we all just get along?

At an intersection, NO one knows how to make a left turn without cutting into the lane of the car in the perpendicular, on coming lane. Go ahead and go out to the middle of the intersection and THEN turn your steering wheel to the left.

Stop means stop. Yield means yield. Cross walks mean don't run over pedestrians.

Do not play chicken with street cars. I don't care what the laws of the road say; the laws of physics say you will lose.
YES! YES! I absolutely LOATHE when people stop at yield signs. Why can't people just follow the rules and do what other drivers expect you to???

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,502 Posts
Here's my list:
  1. NASIOC
I kid, I kid! :biggrin: There are actually many great drivers there. But they just banned all drive/cruise meetups in the NWIC because too many people were driving like idiots (at least one person rolled their car during a group drive) and possibly making NASIOC liable.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts