Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys and Gals,
I have a 2001 Fozz that I recently found out, has leaking rear struts.. Before I pay the $650 to the dealer to replace them, I was wondering if there are direct replacement "complete shocks"a.k.a "quick struts" that are good for on/off road and that aren't to pricey, yet great quality.. And how hard exactly is it to replace the whole shock? Any way any help, advice would be much appreciated..
Thanks,
Mike

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,795 Posts
KYB GR-2's.
I'd help you put them in if you were just a little bit closer.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excuse me for maybe asking an obvious question, kinda not used to working with suspensions. But do those shocks bolt right in where the originals went or do they need some work, and possibly could one someone post a link to a picture/price? thanks. Also thank you for the offers to install them for me!! :) if you both were closer I would probably take up on them hehe!!
-mike

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
The forester-specific KYB GR2s are designed as an OEM replacement struts and will bolt in just like stock.

Forester's dampers are struts -- other stuff bolts up to their bodies and affects alignment and other aspects of the car being able to stay on the ground. A shock is generally a type of a damper that can be removed without the car collapsing on the ground and affecting alignment.

Stan

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
"Quick struts".... I wish it was an option to install something like "Speed +2" shocks...

Anyway, for the purchase I can recommend ajusa.com (overall good expereince with them, including warranty replacement), but you will probably find better prices at e-bay or other online parts retailers (google it). And you can always try to persuade your local shop to price-match :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys, but I am still confused? They don't offer complete shocks that u just bolt right in, without having to swap parts?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, but I am still confused? They don't offer complete shocks that u just bolt right in, without having to swap parts?
if you have normal gas struts in the rear then it's a direct swap. But I recommand buying atleast a dust cover because the old one is probely going to be ripped from age.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what they are.? o.0 All I know is that the dealor said that my rear struts were leaking... I was just wondering if there was a "good" company that makes complete shocks" already assembled" that weren't too expensive..?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
We have macpherson struts. Theres a strut with a lower spring perch attached, and then a spring on that and then the tophat bolts to the top of the strut rod holding the spring in. When you buy a new strut, you're only getting the damper part. so you need to swap the spring and tophat to the new strut.

You can find OEM parts much cheaper. Some dealers have online websites (such as annapolis subaru) and have parts much cheaper than most local dealers. I found rear struts for 109$ each (can't remember which site).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts