Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2017 forester
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious - I have a 2018 forester. I am wondering, do they ever update the software?

Thank you..............

Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
@jgw0 What type of software... Please explain.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
I don't know about other years or trims, but on mine, if you can reach your home WiFi signal from the driveway or garage (likely), you can update the software yourself. It's under the Infotainment screen, I think it's "Settings->Check for Updates".

Registered
2018 Forester Touring Automatic 4 Cyl.
I have a new 2018 Forester. When I purchased it I checked online to see if there were any map updates. I was able to download and transfered it to the small SD card located on the dash.

Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
There's a TSB on updating the ECU of the of the XT models at least. At the same time there was an update for the TCU, as well as an update for the head unit (actually they said I was 3 updates behind)

So yes, they update it.

Registered
1999 Forester S
Manufacturers update software all the time, they just don't advertise it. It will either be performed during routine maintenance as a TSB, or as we move forward, it will be pushed out to your vehicle as an "over-the-air" update.

Registered
2018 Forester Touring Automatic 4 Cyl.
There's a TSB on updating the ECU of the of the XT models at least. At the same time there was an update for the TCU, as well as an update for the head unit (actually they said I was 3 updates behind)

So yes, they update it.
Just so we are all on the same page-What is TSB, ECU,TCU,Head Unit.

Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
Technical service bulletin, Engine control unit, transmission control unit, stereo

Registered
2019 Forester Touring
Navigation Map updates are a different animal than the software that makes the vehicle work.

As mentioned, software to fix issues/problems might be applied if your vehicle is experiencing an issue, or when you take it in for other service. The dealer gets paid to do this under warranty.

Factory navigation map updates are different. If you want the latest maps, you typically pay for an update (does Subie offer a couple years of updates?). The method keeps changing as tech gets better. So last gen Forester used an SD card. Note the $119 one-time charge is crazy. I would not advise paying for this unless you are missing new roads in your daily use - and there is zero guarantee the update will fix your specific issue (I used to be a product/mrkting manager - this really pissed customers off).

Some manufactures are going the subscription route - i.e. pay $XX/month, you will get map updates when available. Typically this includes other things, like cloud-based POIs, cloud-based voice recognition, etc.

It's hard to justify paying for any of this, when Google Maps/Waze are far superior - and free - and usable via CarPlay/Android Auto on the latest vehicles.

Okay - THIS is just crazy - check out the update instructions for the newer systems on Crosstrek and Forester (supplied via Harman). You basically download the update to USB, and stick that in your car to update the maps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts