Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have studded Firestone winter force tires and they have an S - 112 mph speed rating. Does the fact that they're studded affect this limit?

Don't think I'll be doing 112, but is it still safe to drive up to 80-90mph?

I got this info from The Tire Rack but it's rather vague.

"Studded winter tires are not recommended for high speed driving because high speeds (as well as excessive tire spinning) can cause studs to be ejected."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't advise those speeds with any studded tire, they really only have good grip in snow, not dry pavement.
They actually grip surprising pretty well on dry pavement once you get used to the sloppy turn in. The biggest danger is all the gravel the state of Colorado puts on the roads.

I've got about 50K miles on snows and I've had zero issue driving at 80. Obviously you have to be aware of the tires lower traction limits.

I'm more worried about the studs lowering the speed rating and causing a blow out. But that doesn't sound likley, however I though I'd ask.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Yeah my main point was don't expect the same kind of grip, a lot of ppl hot rod it with studs and expect it to be the same and end up in the ditch.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
If conditions call for studs, going 80-90 mph isn't advisable. Remember, even if you can control it, those around you may not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If conditions call for studs, going 80-90 mph isn't advisable. Remember, even if you can control it, those around you may not.
I'm not talking about doing 80-90 in the snow/ice :biggrin:

The max speed limit here in CO is 75mph and traffic usually does about 10 over. Sometimes you need to pass someone in a hurry so it's not out of the question in the XT to look down and see close to triple digits. Briefly.

Once again, my question is if the studs or the studding process affects the tires speed rating.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I've run studs at 85mph on dry pavement (our freeways are 75mph) with no trouble, just leave yourself more time to manuver and stop. I had to do that last year anyway with the lift and NO sway bars....

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
You're not supposed to drive on studs at over 80mph iirc.

Not as much for the tire itself, but because the studs can get ejected at high speeds.

I lost quite a few studs, but usually due to drifting or sliding on dry pavement.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to do that last year anyway with the lift and NO sway bars....
That must have been pretty hairy in the corners!

I used to drive a Miata with studded snow tires and the car would start leaning just at the same time the tires would start squirming. Very unnerving until you got used to it. Eventually I changed out the sways for something stiffer and then it was a non issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're not supposed to drive on studs at over 80mph iirc. Not as much for the tire itself, but because the studs can get ejected at high speeds.
That's good to know. Ejecting studs in one thing, but a blowout at those speed is quite another.

I lost quite a few studs, but usually due to drifting or sliding on dry pavement.
Both my RWD cars have lost a lot of studs due to dry road abuse, but funnily enough the Forester hasn't lost any in about 8K miles. And I do occasionally indulge in a little mid corner drop throttle overseer.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I had studded hakka's on my Protege years ago. By the end of the season I think I had about 5 studs left in each tire.

I've had studded snows on the Protege, Forester, a RWD Volvo and my parents mini-van. Never had an issue going over 80mph, but as has been said above, keep in mind your limitations (much longer stopping distance and decreased handling--on dry pavement).

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
Keep in mind, losing a stud at 80 mph, can do alot of Windshield damage to the person behind you or that you just passed. I have a Chip in mine from some Stupid Moron in a Ford F350 in a hurry running down the shoulder, throwing a stone up. I am not happy. I remember back in the early 60s, my Father having studded tires on his car, and the studs falling out over time.

Some states have outlawed Studded Tires for that very reason beside the road damage. I truely believe, that if it's so bad, that you need studs to drive, then stay off the roads. There are Studdless Snow Tires out there, and then there are Chains.

Let the Flaming begin.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Keep in mind, losing a stud at 80 mph, can do alot of Windshield damage to the person behind you or that you just passed. I have a Chip in mine from some Stupid Moron in a Ford F350 in a hurry running down the shoulder, throwing a stone up. I am not happy. I remember back in the early 60s, my Father having studded tires on his car, and the studs falling out over time.

Some states have outlawed Studded Tires for that very reason beside the road damage. I truely believe, that if it's so bad, that you need studs to drive, then stay off the roads. There are Studdless Snow Tires out there, and then there are Chains.

Let the Flaming begin.

I got studs because no studless tire can compete on actual ice. Around here they generally plow and salt pretty early, but that usually leads to frozen slush on the ground by the time I have to get to class.

I also wanted a snow tire that was decent in deeper snow, most of the "performance" studless tires have shallower tread depth and are designed mostly for winter driving and not as much for deep snow. I went with the winterforce studded. This winter i'm removing the studs and seeing how that goes (on wrx suspension, the 215/65/16 were rubbing and the studs were cutting into the sheet metal).

I feel like the 80mph thing was a legal requirement, and not an actual limit of the tires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here in Colorado cracked & chipped windscreens are a way of life. As I said CDOT sprinkle gravel on the roads. My insurance has free glass coverage (no deductible & no increase in premiums) and I use it every couple of years.

Sorry to hear about your F350 encounter. Seem people thing the bigger the vehicle the bigger a-hole they can be on the roads.

Let the Flaming begin.
Thanks for the suggestions, but here in CO we love our studs (err did that come out right?). Studded tires are significantly better than stud-less on ice. And who the hell is going to drive up I-70 with chains on?

We live at 5K ft, and play at 12K ft on the weekends. When conditions are at their worst, you want to make it to the ski resorts. First.

In other states I can see priorities being different.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,524 Posts
any good reason not to get studded snows for my kids car? it's a 2003 Chevy Impala. mostly they will just be driving to and from school but you never know they may wind up on the highway with it. I've never owned/used studded snows except when i was bike commuting through the winter of 2009-10 :icon_wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
any good reason not to get studded snows for my kids car? it's a 2003 Chevy Impala. mostly they will just be driving to and from school but you never know they may wind up on the highway with it. I've never owned/used studded snows except when i was bike commuting through the winter of 2009-10 :icon_wink:
Zombi thread, raised from the dead!!! :N_poke:

The only down sides are

(1) Noise
(2) Some say they increase the stopping distance in dry conditions
(3) The studs don't last as long as the tire.

Did you commute on a pedal bike or motorbike, with studs?

I just bought a set of studded tires for my dirt bike. Just waiting on some back ordered wheels. It was close to $600 for the set of (two) tires!

The tires nor the bike are dot legal, so the studs are much larger than what they put on car tires. It'll be a bit like riding a 50hp grinder. :rock:

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,524 Posts
lol yeah I think there's a urban dictionary word for this - it's a necropost ... creepy name, huh?

thanks for the input on their performance. my bike was a bicycle ... studded dirt bike sounds like fun. no doubt you've see the nails in the ice bikers tires, right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts