Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or is it "use to?"

Anyways, I feel like my car isn't such a beast anymore.. It's starting to drive like a "normal" car to me now and I'm wondering if something's broken or if I'm just adapting and getting the hang of driving it..

So just thought I'd ask... Do you guys / have you guys goten used to your cars? (this mostly goes for the modded ones!)

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
or is it "use to?"

Anyways, I feel like my car isn't such a beast anymore.. It's starting to drive like a "normal" car to me now and I'm wondering if something's broken or if I'm just adapting and getting the hang of driving it..

So just thought I'd ask... Do you guys / have you guys goten used to your cars? (this mostly goes for the modded ones!)
It is hard to say, if you feel it has less power than it had you may certainly have an issue, that being said though...

You will get used to the car after a while. My thinking is, you came from a non turbo Foz to a Foz with a 20G. You were thrown into a car with so much more power it would obviously feel very different and maybe overwhelming. Now you have gotten to know it and the "surprise" is no longer there.

But again, it is all subjective, does it feel like it has lost power?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
That's why you have gauges. To monitor and make sure it ISN'T getting slower.

But, yes, you do become accustomed to a car. That's why modding is such an addiction.

You also anticipate the car better. The rush of going fast isn't such a surprise.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
most definitely. I've had a modded XT for a few years and sometimes it feels "tame" to me. Luckily I have an X I can drive and it makes me realize how powerful the XT really is.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I need gauges.. I'm working once again so I'll be able to afford it and the Foz is going into the shop a week from Thursday I believe. I'm so stoked to finally get some real mods going on with this thing! Plus I don't work weekends so I'll be racing lots during the summer!

Anyone suggest a tune in the Bay Area?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Yes, you get used to the power at any level. As I learn my car better I discover all it's weaknesses and want to improve them. There are always weaknesses, some of which cannot be fixed.

One of the best ways to make the car faster is to shed weight, but that's not too realistic with our cars.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
I'm most definitely used to my car, and that's fueling the unreasonable modding that I've been doing the past few months. It's almost an addiction.

My foz still puts down the same boost level, so it's not slower, but it certainly feels much slower to me than it felt when I just got it. My gf's stock G35 'feels' faster even though it's not, and thats because i'm not used to how the power is delivered with her car(all the way to redline).

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Yes, but drive something else for a little bit and you will be itching to get back into your car. Every time I go out of town and get some underpowered rental car I appreciate my Foz even more!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I drive a 70whp Loyale during the week and a 290whp FSXT on the weekend. Sometimes the FSXT still surprises me with its power/handling.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
But, yes, you do become accustomed to a car. That's why modding is such an addiction.

You also anticipate the car better. The rush of going fast isn't such a surprise.
BINGO. I drive like a grandma most of the time so that spiritedness is still there :biggrin:

Ok...I don't drive like a grandma. I'm used to my car, but I still get excited every time I can take a turn like a normal sedan.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
You should be used to your car and know it in an intimate way of sorts. What is normal and not - sounds, smells, etc. After all, you probably have your hands on your car more than your mate! :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts