Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into making my own turbo kit for a Ej25 using a used WRX turbo and manifold from a wrx (could probably get one for chaep from somebody upgrading) I already know that the Ej25 IS NOT tolerant of high boost levels due to its open deck design, from what I understand 6psi is as high as you can reliably go. So I'm looking @ running 5psi and intercooler. What can I do for the electronics and fuel delivery? Any thought in general?
thanks
loganD.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I believe you are correct on the limitations of the open deck but most folks here are going to tell you not to bother trying to turbo charge an engine that wasn't designed for it. The ROI just sucks. Do the intake/exhaust/suspension stuff and if your still not happy, then do a full engine swap...my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
+1 for a full engine swap... Angry Toaster just did an STi swap on his 01 Forester.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
There are some "do it yourself-er" type turbo kits for the RS

Probally wouldn't advise running a turbo though on an older engine that isn't used to the increased pressure
Gl

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BigC said:
I believe you are correct on the limitations of the open deck but most folks here are going to tell you not to bother trying to turbo charge an engine that wasn't designed for it. The ROI just sucks. Do the intake/exhaust/suspension stuff and if your still not happy, then do a full engine swap...my 2 cents.
Hopefully my ROI will be alright if I can get a 16g(I think thats the one they run on the wrx) from some WRX owner thats doing a turbo upgrade and I can get his old turbo and maybe even the manifold for cheap. I don't wont to do a swap because as soon as I get the forester I'm buying another (cheap) impreza to do a swap on that, doing a swap on the forester would be counterpruductive in light of that. Does anybody know what kind of fuel/ignition/ECU alterations I will have to make and approxiametly how much they will cost. I've also heard that the EJ25 actually makes decent power (comparably to the 2.0L turbo) with only 5-6psi running through it.

Oh and I know I wont be happy with the exhaust/intake mods because their not enuff on my considerably lighter Rs.

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
I see this discussion a lot on RS25.com. The truth is the high compression on the EJ25 motor is what really makes it a bad idea to turbo. You seriously hurt the reliability of the motor after it goes turbo... no mater how little boost you run. I've been in the Impreza scene for quite a while and evey one of my friends running a turbo kit on an EJ25 has lost their engine. Granted, some of them took a good 2 years to blow, but it will. They all now run WRX and STi swaps.

Turbo kits were a good thing a few years back for us NA guys, but now with the availability of WRX motors out there it makes no sense to turbo the NA motor. A good complete turbo kit is in the realm of $3K. A WRX swap isn't too much more.

A turbo'd EJ25 is basically a motor on the fringe of failure with no room for improvement.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angry Toaster said:
I see this discussion a lot on RS25.com. The truth is the high compression on the EJ25 motor is what really makes it a bad idea to turbo. You seriously hurt the reliability of the motor after it goes turbo... no mater how little boost you run. I've been in the Impreza scene for quite a while and evey one of my friends running a turbo kit on an EJ25 has lost their engine. Granted, some of them took a good 2 years to blow, but it will. They all now run WRX and STi swaps.

Turbo kits were a good thing a few years back for us NA guys, but now with the availability of WRX motors out there it makes no sense to turbo the NA motor. A good complete turbo kit is in the realm of $3K. A WRX swap isn't too much more.

A turbo'd EJ25 is basically a motor on the fringe of failure with no room for improvement.
Okay, I bow to your expierence, I guess I'll just have to stay with the NA setup and figure out how to get some decent power out of the motor as inexspensively and reliably as possibly.

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean to shoot down your idea. It's kinda a "been there, done that" thing, you know? If you're still thinking about turbo'ing your NA motor, I'd be happy to answer any questions and offer advice. :)
stikshifter said:
Okay, I bow to your expierence, I guess I'll just have to stay with the NA setup and figure out how to get some decent power out of the motor as inexspensively and reliably as possibly.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Id even say you are better off selling and buying a turbo than doing a turbo swap. Its not like a turbo Forester isnt available.
Resale on a car with an engine swap can be a problem. Reliability could also be a problem (both by not knowing the history of the donor engine as well as you are dependant on the quality of the swap job)
If you want to have the experience of the engine swap - go for it. But if you just want the minimum fuss to get a more powerful vehicle, sell and buy a factory turbo model.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
dicknose said:
Id even say you are better off selling and buying a turbo than doing a turbo swap. Its not like a turbo Forester isnt available.
Resale on a car with an engine swap can be a problem. Reliability could also be a problem (both by not knowing the history of the donor engine as well as you are dependant on the quality of the swap job)
If you want to have the experience of the engine swap - go for it. But if you just want the minimum fuss to get a more powerful vehicle, sell and buy a factory turbo model.
I know this its great for a while but selling was a pain in the a$$
the turbo kit is not worth it, sell your forester and buy a FXT, it WILL save you money in the long run

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
It was probally pretty rad before it craped out....

see.. its not a very good idea!

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Subachad up and downpipes

WRX fuel pump

RC 440cc injectors

Link Plus engine management.

The EJ25 is stronger than a lot of people think.

It's all in the tuning.

I ran 10 psi for 30k before selling the car (which in turn blew up after about another 30k) Ran anti-lag on it for about 1000 combined miles. :)

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
he said it was a compression loss.. happened in my friends 300zx twin turbo too... but his is obviously due to the increased pressure.. unlike my friend who just needs new o rings and maybe piston heads or maybe some reboring he def needs a swap.. how much does a swap cost most of the time anyway for subie motors? i remember back in the day when i put 220k on my 87 civic.. we could get a decent swap for oh.. 1.5k finished and ready to drive again..

·
Registered
2003 Forester
169 Posts
What model year is your forester? Is it a SG (03+) or a SF (98-02)?

If it is a SG, and for those of us who also have N/A SG's, I have been looking at wiring diagrams for both the XT, and the 2.5X/XS recently from '03-'04 with a guy who has done a bunch of suby swaps before. We are still looking through them (as well as at some parts of my car/a FXT wiring harnass), but as of now it looks as if doing a FXT swap in a N/A SG would not be bad at all, and almost easy if you swap wiring harnasses/the full car (as I am looking to do).

That I think would be the route to go, especially if you have a SG, as you can pick up a rolled FXT for about 4500 when they come up. The one I was looking at before it sold, needed about $500 in parts to get the motor in new condition. That cost was offset by the aprox. $1400-$2000 you could make off of selling misc parts off of the FXT, and all the old parts off of my 2.5X. Even taking the low estimate, you could then buy STi parts to make a 2.5XSTi and would still come out at about $4500-$5000, with only a limited hit in resale value. Plus, for those of us who enjoy the tan interior and have bodies that are in ****ty condition, it comes out cheaper than just buying a FXT.
-Jeff

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
hmm.. shoulda just got the xt lol. i remember only buying the 05XS bc gas prices were up near $3/gal for 87. but gettin the 05XS wasn't that bad as it came with nearly everything it could (no leather and moonroof sigh...) for 21k new at dealer.. but still.. no boost .. sigh..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts