Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
It's definitely not unusable, but I wouldn't pay a cent over $150 for it. Unless you are going to be running high HP the downpipe should flow well enough. Very doubtful the damage to the pipe was a result of shipping as the seller claims though. Looks to me like the guy ran over a curb or parking block. Which could mean that there is possibility of the pipe being bent as well. That said, if it were me in your position, I'd lowball the guy at around $100 and see if it sticks. Or just bide your time and wait for another to pop up. For what it's worth, I scooped up a COBB downpipe here on the forum in perfect shape for under $300 last spring.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
On my local CL for $300 down from $600 for the dent in it...think it's big enough to affect performance?

I believe this will fit MY11 FXT, yes?
Yes, it should fit. No, I would not buy it. The dent might act as a restriction. And, restriction or not, it will probably be a hot spot and may burn out. You can find a new Invidia catted downpipe for ~$500. (I found one for $400); If you keep looking you can probably find the Cobb pipe in that price range as well.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
It will work fine, and likely impact performance in no harmful way. There was test done on this.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vupq0
That was an interesting test on a very well developed V-8 engine. The exhaust headers were generous to start. One conclusion from the test might be this: if you start with a lot of excess exhaust capacity, it doesn't matter if you loose some along the way.

Exactly how this information transfers to a single downpipe - with a dent - on the exhaust side of a turbo is a bit less clear.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
That was an interesting test on a very well developed V-8 engine. The exhaust headers were generous to start. One conclusion from the test might be this: if you start with a lot of excess exhaust capacity, it doesn't matter if you loose some along the way.

Exactly how this information transfers to a single downpipe - with a dent - on the exhaust side of a turbo is a bit less clear.
There are two catalytic converters that this would be replacing. The performance impact from a few minor dents would be, at worst, minimal.

A far, far cry from saying it's "not usable", lol.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
I misread, damn double negatives. I personally wouldn't buy it because I'm too nit picky and like my stuff shiny, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it that weren't a hangup for someone and they're only worried about performance and functionality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight y'all, gonna hold off on it. Plus, I'll have to get a Cobb AP and new sparks and O2's when I finally decide to do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts