Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2004 Forester XS with about 110k on it. Last time I had it in for an oil change and alignment (because it was pulling to the left slightly) the shop said it looked like the driver's side struts were worn and creating some of that pull.

So, I want to go ahead and replace them. I'm just new to most of this car stuff. The forums have been great, and I used the info here to do the timing belt a bit ago, along with other various things. I've done rear struts in my wife's car a couple years ago. But still to do anything with cars I need good instructions by you all. Basically, all the talk I see is about lowering or changing the suspension, and I just want a regular car that drives straight!

So, mostly I see that I need these KYB GR2 struts -
.. and that comes to about $330 at AJUSA

Do I need anything else, or is everything on the car more than likely still good at this point - springs, mounts, bellows or whatever?

Where would I get the springs if I need them? I can only find them at dealer sites.

Thanks, I'm pretty new at this and would really appreciate the answers!

-Jon

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds like your strut is bent. You can re-use your stock springs, tophats and bumpstops unless you are planning on going lower. Just inspect everything to make sure it's all in good order, it should be.

If you'd want to buy stock Forester springs, this site is probably the best place to get them from, they should be pretty cheap.

Stan

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 2004 Forester XS with about 110k on it. Last time I had it in for an oil change and alignment (because it was pulling to the left slightly) the shop said it looked like the driver's side struts were worn and creating some of that pull.

So, I want to go ahead and replace them. I'm just new to most of this car stuff. The forums have been great, and I used the info here to do the timing belt a bit ago, along with other various things. I've done rear struts in my wife's car a couple years ago. But still to do anything with cars I need good instructions by you all. Basically, all the talk I see is about lowering or changing the suspension, and I just want a regular car that drives straight!

So, mostly I see that I need these KYB GR2 struts -
.. and that comes to about $330 at AJUSA

Do I need anything else, or is everything on the car more than likely still good at this point - springs, mounts, bellows or whatever?

Where would I get the springs if I need them? I can only find them at dealer sites.

Thanks, I'm pretty new at this and would really appreciate the answers!

-Jon
you can get all four struts for 277.00 and free shipping on ebay KYB 4 GR-2 STRUTS SHOCKS 03 SUBARU FORESTER 2003 : eBay Motors (item 120529523772 end time Feb-20-10 16:31:49 PST)

·
Registered
2004 Subaru
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your help and info! I really appreciate the willingness to share knowledge!

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Modern coil springs don't typically wear out in any noticeable way unless they're physically damaged or overstressed. The originals should be good still, however if you notice the car "sagging" it may be time to change them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts