Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help!!

I've just this minute received my new KYB shocks and springs, but before I go ahead to fit them, I read somewhere, once, that when you install the new shocks you should use a procedure of pushing in the piston, (with it pointing either up or down, I can't remember which) then release it the other way around. apparently you need to repeat this procedure about four times to move the air inside or something?

does anyone know the procedure and if this is necessary on new shocks?

I've now taken the old shocks off and could do with some guidance on this matter asap! thanks

thanks

stumbler

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,377 Posts
Unless there is something magical with these shocks....I have never done it. Having said that..wait for more informed answers.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,869 Posts
Please help!!

I've just this minute received my new KYB shocks and springs, but before I go ahead to fit them, I read somewhere, once, that when you install the new shocks you should use a procedure of pushing in the piston, (with it pointing either up or down, I can't remember which) then release it the other way around. apparently you need to repeat this procedure about four times to move the air inside or something?

does anyone know the procedure and if this is necessary on new shocks?

I've now taken the old shocks off and could do with some guidance on this matter asap! thanks

thanks

stumbler
I believe this is a "thing of the past" especially as they are now gas filled.

If you haven't already fitted them, stand them upright the way they fit and try depressing the piston rod a couple of times.

or follow the Subaru assembly procedure on this page..............

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I did it anyway, as it seemed to me to not be a destructive thing to do, and obviously the piston had to finish up, so I could work out the order.

However, I now have another problem.

I have put the two springs on differently (by mistake!) but now i don't know which way is the right way up. one side of the KYB spring has a tighter twisted end to make it stand flat, or hang flat, but which way.

There is some writing on the spring, should that be upside down or the right way up. I have to say that upside down, ie. with the flattest end down looks to be more correct, but I want to check before I finish?

many thanks once again

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Bleeding dampers is something motorcycle people do after replacing oil in their forks to get the air bubbles out, it is done with the damper upside down I believe. My Konis are bled using the same procedure. Not sure it's needed with high pressure gas shocks like stockers and KYB GR2s.

Front or rear springs?

On my '07, the rear springs will have smaller ID coils at the top. On fronts, the top coils' surface will be filed "flat", the rounded "full" coils go on the bottom. Make sure bottom coils of both the rears and fronts sit in the notched groove on the bottom strut perch, it's like a stopper to orient the spring correctly.

In pictures below, springs are oriented same way you'd install them on the struts.

Stan

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that,

Actually, on my rears, it seems to be the other way around, I put the old set up together and the flatter bit went down, but that doesn't mean the bloke who fitted the old one was a Subaru mechanic and got it right.

I've just taken it for a test drive and bloody hell, what a difference, for the first time the fozzer drives like a real car. bloody wonderful.

I thoroughly recommend KYB standard shocks and springs. The back now sits up nicely, and she handles so much better. I can't believe the difference.

stumbler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts