Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited CVT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I recently did a 3000 mile road trip and noticed something odd. After about 20 minutes of highway driving, I start to get a squeak from the rear. It starts out as a little chirp...chirp...chirp, and then gets more frequent and constatnt. Sometimes, when making a slight turn with the wheel makes the noise go away, and any application of the breaks makes it go away. After 20 or so minutes of this, the squeaking goes away.

Is this just the rear brake wear tabs starting to show their face? I have never experienced wear tab noise to come and go like that.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
It will take you 20 minutes to check if it's brakes.
Jack up the car, take the wheel off, loosen 14mm lower caliper bolt, lift the caliper up, remove teh pads and inspect. :)

I was in for a bit of surpirse as mine started squeeking. I ordered set of fronts alsmost sure that back ones were OK. Changed fronts as they were pretty worn out and the little metal indicator started to rub agains the rotor but once I got back to the back i discovered that the back is in even worse condition. Had to leave it like that for a week and will be doing my rears tomorrow once the pads arrive.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
It could be the brakes. I'd pull the wheel off and check how much is left on the pads (if you look with a flashlight theres a "window" in the brake caliper that lets you see the side of the pad so you can see how worn they are).

Does it have drums or discs in the back?

Has it sat parked for extended periods of time or seen any flooding?

The "anti rattle clips" that are in the caliper where the pads fit in can get bent out of shape, same with the dust shields and either of those can hit the rotor causing a squeek. However, if that is happening, its often due to too much play in the wheel bearing.

I would check the brakes first and make sure nothings obviously rubbing. After that check the wheel bearing. One of my fronts was squeeking just like that, and it ended up being the rotor hitting the antirattle clip because there was a huge amount of play in the wheel bearing, the whole wheel was able to flop around. You do -not- want it to get that bad, so get it checked as soon as possible!

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Sounds a bit like a wheel bearing to me, but I've never had one go on the Subbie, so I don't know exactly what they sound like on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts