Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT Sportshift
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a set of 05 LGT calipers and Stoptech pads for my 07FXT. The calipers came with shims that are to be installed to the brackets. My current Remsa pads came with a set of shims, however as far as I know the stoptechs don't come with shims - do I need to get them? or just anti-squeal pastes would be adequate? Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT Sportshift
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems like I'm overly worried - the pads came with shims already attached. I guess they should fit fine without the factory 2-piece shims......

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,465 Posts
I recommend that you adhere to what the pad mfg recommends when it comes to shims. I also use a good bit on anti-seize on any metal-to-metal contact points.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
So generally should one use the factory anti-squeal shims along with the ones that are pre installed on most brake pads?

·
Registered
2000 Ford Focus Wagon 5 speed manual
463 Posts
So generally should one use the factory anti-squeal shims along with the ones that are pre installed on most brake pads?
Generally you should read the instructions. The last set of brake pads I bought said to use nothing. No shims, no grease. If there are no instructions and the back of the pads is flat and the same as OE, use the shims and special grease. If the back of the pads isn't the same, just use grease.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Generally you should read the instructions. The last set of brake pads I bought said to use nothing. No shims, no grease. If there are no instructions and the back of the pads is flat and the same as OE, use the shims and special grease. If the back of the pads isn't the same, just use grease.
At first I thought I was back on legacygt.com, but the second part of your post was actually helpful. I don't ask for myself personally but for anyone that may come across this thread in a search for the same answer. Some manufacturers don't supply any instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts