Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some info about this around the forum but a lot of it seems a bit ambiguous or geared towards fitting. I recently had Bob Rawle do the first session of a re-map on my Foz and in the process the boost was raised to 1.3Bar, which is amusing when you are overtaking lorries or joining the motorway, but I have noticed that if I give the car a bit of a thrashing (and it's only a bit), the next morning there is now an oil stain under the engine gearbox join area that I didn't notice before. It's not burning oil and the sump/gearbox casings are clean. My mechanic suggested that with the high pressure boost (he races) the blow back might have increased to the point where oil is being blown out the crankcase seals at the back of the engine and I'm guessing it is gathering in the clutch bell housing and draining out overnight. I wonder if the stock re-circ system is no longer able to deal with the increase in blowback now that the boost is up to 1.3Bar (stock 99 S turbo boost is 0.55Bar on a TF035, I'm running a TD04). Obviously I want to avoid blowing my crankcase seals out so can I relieve some of the excess crankcase pressure by fitting an oil catch can does anyone know? If not, is there some other way to ease the pressure?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If its coming from the back of the motor its most likely due to a failing rear main seal or oil separator plate.

If you were getting too much blowby you would see it mostly in the intake tract, especially collecting inside the intercooler.

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
The breather pipes tend to crack especially on a 10 year old car and the one situated on the back top of the motor could result in oil running down the motor like on yours.
Replacing the pipe will probably sort the oil leak but will start fouling your intercooler so yes maybe a oil catch tank will be a good investment.

I know the reply is late but if it can not help you maybe it could help someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts