Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if you guys could help me make the decision.
I know I want to get the 2010 forester, but I'm not sure if I should get the turbo or not. I will be taking it on the beach a lot, and I'm not sure if the regular engine is powerful enough.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

edited to clarify: I would be totally ok with the regular engine. (my current car is a ford focus if that tells you anything about my general need for power.) I just don't want to get stuck in the sand.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
You don't need a turbo for the beach. But you NEED a turbo.
You need a turbo, for 2 reasons;
1. So there are more turbo's around when I go to buy yours used in a few years.
2. Because a car with a turbo is just that much better than a N/A car.
3. You NEED a turbo!!!:rock:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
I have the NA ind its more than fine. If you can afford the extra 1500+ up front, and pay 20+% more in fuel for the feeling the zoom gives you..go it. I'm not downing the experience one tiny little bit.

I'm retired, no kids no debt and the money for me would not be a big deal...but I just am not interested. Then again I'm 63 and so is the wife. :D Its her car. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
I don't know what kind of power is necessary for the beach - I've never driven on one. :redface:

However, in terms of regular, everyday, road-driving.

My wife and I test drove the N/A variant, first - it was simply what our dealer had on-hand, and now with a toddler, well, we wouldn't mind the extra cash (we're not rich, but we're far from starving) on-hand. :smile:

Truth be told, even when I was driving, I felt that the N/A variant had plenty of guts for local commutes. It took off nicely from a stop, and honestly never felt underpowered, and I truly thought that the gearing was pretty smart.

What kind of a judge are we? Now, you might say that my wife would be a poor judge of this, as she comes from a long line of 4-banger Japanese econoboxes, but her last car before the Forester was an '05 WRX, albeit a 4EAT, it still picked up nicely, when the turbo kicked in. Me? My daily-driver, since '05, has been a "Stage II" Legacy 2.5GT, 5MT. On a dyno where stock STIs come in at 200/200, flat, I'm at 225 wHP/275 wTQ. My daily-driver in the years before that were DSMs, all around the 300 wHP mark.

The only time when I found myself missing her then-outgoing WRX was when the speedo crested 40 MPH, on WOT runs. It seemed as if the car just ran out of steam - precisely at the point where I'd have expected the turbo to have chipped-in its share of power.

And that's really exactly what the turbo brings to the table.

Yes, that's at the expense of fueling costs - but sit down and do your math.

Figure out if that's *actually* going to matter to you. For me and the wifey, we came to the conclusion, many years ago, with calculators in-hand, that based on our commute, the turbo/non-turbo debate was a virtual wash, in terms of potential savings at the pump. Sure, when gas crested $3.75 a gallon for premium, we boo-hoo'ed along with our neighbors, but honestly, we didn't feel the pinch. Do your math honestly, and see if it really will matter to you. Certainly, if we'd commuted longer distances, this could've changed the picture, drastically, but we did the math.

Insurance is yet another thing to figure out, for yourself.

No, the turbo isn't a barnstormer on the open highways. The factory turbo is too small for that kind of rowdiness - but it does insure a decent amount of "active safety," with the car being more capable of "power on demand" than does the N/A. Yes, a boosted AWD-launch is fun, but are you really the type to want to expose your car to the mechanical wear-and-tear of that kind of driving, all the time?

No, Pigeon (my daughter is in love with those books, currently), you don't need a turbo.

But you NEED a turbo. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
If you have this question than it is simple -- you need a turbo. N/A cars will save more money on gas, but if that isn't a big deal there is no reason not to get the turbo -- price difference isn't that great.

Stan

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
if you even think about a turbo, that means you drive spirited. if you drive spirited, you don't save much money on gas and your mileage will be practically equal (mine is actually worse than many turbo drivers @ 19-20mpg city, 21-22mpg hwy, ~24-25mpg extended hwy [long distance trips]).

so, no, you don't need an NA.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
17 Posts
I have a 09 NA mt forester and I do a 60 mile one way commute to work everyday. I would have loved to have the turbo but I have been extremely happy with NA. I rarely average less than 30 mpg and half my trip is down unimproved roads in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
602 Posts
I just bought my 2010 XT a few weeks ago.
I walk into the dealer not wanting a turbo. I already have a turbo on my nissan and wanted the base Forester for the low price, good mpg. I was ready to leave the dealer after a test drive. But for the heck of it I test drove the Turbo xt model. 2 hours later I left the dealer with a white turbo XT and I am so glad I got it. I was 200 miles away from home on a business trip. Plus with the xt you get so much more. Hood scoop, alloy wheels, huge moon roof, muffler tips, spoiler, fog lamps.

My advice, test drive both. That will help you make up your mine.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
If you're on the fence, then go for the turbo. Otherwise you'll be forever kicking yourself...

Just be aware that the XT comes with premium fuel requirement and won't net you the same mileage an N/A would, so don't be one of those people who come back here and ask if it's ok to fill up with regular gas or if you can save gas by driving around with the FWD fuse installed.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Welcome aboard.

No, you don't need a turbo. This comes from someone with two turbo cars in the driveway, and ~130,000 miles on the FXT. I'll assume our n/a Legacy has similar acceleration times to an n/a Forester, and it works juuuust fine. 26-30 MPG is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Besides, The Wraith and Roo can both tell you how fun an n/a Forester can be.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
I traded in my non-turbo for a turbo Forester and rarely regret it, aside from the financial irresponsibility. Both are great cars, and your car choice should depend on your finances, driving habits, and expectations.

To sum things up in a few bullet points...

Non-Turbo:
  • Cheaper to buy, maintain, and operate
  • Great for everyday city driving, but lacks the oomph to pass quickly on the highway
  • Durable, dependable, and easy to repair
  • Fewer mods available
Turbo:
  • Slightly more expensive to buy, maintain, and operate
  • Great for everyday driving, unless you go nuts on performance mods (stiff coilsovers, big turbo, etc). Great passing power.
  • Still durable, dependable, and easy to repair.
  • Endless modding potential
If you don't get a turbo then you have to leave forever, 'nuf said ;)
You have an N/A, right? :icon_wink::biggrin:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.