Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Civic Automatic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2nd post, and I know you guys hate that question, but seriously, help me out. I'm not getting my '14 until the spring, and I'm obsessing about this question daily.

Ok, I currently drive a 115 hp Civic. I wring it's neck daily (I'm surprised it hasn't blown yet)...I drive very "spirited." I only test drove the 2.5 and XT for a few minutes, mainly because I've got the salesman in the car with me.

My question is, will the 2.5 feel like a rocket to me coming from the Civic? And I'm new to turbos as well. The boost only comes into play above a certain rpm, correct? So, before that, will the 2.5 actually have more get up than the 2.0?

G

·
Since the 2.0 is a twin scroll turbo it will spool up pretty quickly. The turbo will be quicker. I wouldn't describe the 2.5 NA as a "rocket" in any sense. :lol:

You don't need the turbo, but you need the turbo.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring CVT
85 Posts
I test drove both for around two hours each. I'm lucky with my dealer - he just takes a copy of my license, and says "go" and walks back inside.

I found that the turbo was quicker in all respects, and by a healthy margin. The CVT is also much quicker off the lights unless you drop the clutch in the 2.5 pretty severely, and once the turbo spools up - bye bye.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
37 Posts
If you don't get the turbo you'll always regret it. I've never met anyone that wished they had purchased the slower model car. And if mileage is your number one concern there's other cars you should consider.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
81 Posts
The Turbo also has a very different suspension than the 2.5. It handles much more crisply and has much better damping. The brakes are also much better. The 2 cars feel different, even without using the power.

·
Registered
2003 Forester xs automatic
20 Posts
I have my wrx turbo, but my wifes Forester definetely is not and it wont be a Turbo, but I drive it ocasionally and it feels great, really good when you keep corner speed, I enjoy it driving as much as my WRX but in a different way,,,,,,, hard to understand.......

·
Registered
2011 Forester Manual
21 Posts
I test drove the 2.5 and concluded it is certainly adequate. I don't need a turbo.

Then I drove the 2.0T along the same route. When I went up the on ramp to the freeway and pressed my foot down I reached the same conclusion. The 2.5 is adequate. I don't need a turbo.

But I sure as hell WANT one!!! Sometimes "adequate" just won't do. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT w/ S & S#
307 Posts
While transmission gear rations are a factor, you might want to look at LB per HP.
A 115 HP Civic has approx. 21.5 lb/hp
A 2014 2.5 Forester has approx. 19 lb/hp
A 2014 2.0 XT Forester has approx. 13.5 lb/hp
A 2012 911 Turbo S has approx 6.7 lb/hp

One can never be too rich, too good looking or have too much HP !!

·
Registered
2005 Civic Automatic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I just need to order the damn thing now and get it over with. What I really need to be able to do is like Omaroo said and see if my dealer will let me have both models for a couple of hours. When I went on my test drives, I really didn't notice much of a difference b/w the two, but that must obviously be because I didn't open them up...I feel "bad" doing that when I've got the sales guy sitting right next to me.

And I've played the premium gas/cost thing over in my head enough that I'm sick and came to the conclusion that while seeing the .40 price difference b/w regular and premium, in the big picture, it's really trivial. At maybe $5 max difference per fill up, if you do that 5 times a month, you're talking less than $300 a year difference in gas.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Ltd. CVT
37 Posts
After reading lots of messages about 2.5i would-be owners (myself included), I think the message to Subaru here is to give the N/A model a more powerful basic engine.

I'd be happy with 190hp, so that the Forester be in the same league as the CX-5!

Subaru, you already have a winner with the 2014 Forester 2.5i.

If you want to put that last nail in the coffin, simply offer a more powerful base engine! :)

We just want all the benefits of the N/A model (regular fuel, regular oil changes, no cooldown, etc.) but with a little extra oomph on the road!

If Mazda did it within 1 year, you can do it too! ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
If you want to put that last nail in the coffin, simply offer a more powerful base engine! :)
Some people prefer economy and others prefer more power. Subaru is giving you choices..what do you want??? Subaru is very limited with respect to the configuration of the engine bc of this thing they call Symetrical AWDF System (sound familiar?). Its easy as pie to change ratings..bores/strokes on inline engines with ancient drive systems...not so much the Subaru.

Subaru is a small company and the development of a new engine ishuge in terms of resources. If you look at Subaru sales in the last 5 years you'll see that they have better ideas than most of us. Once you actually own a Subaru you will understand a bit more.

We just want all the benefits of the N/A model (regular fuel, regular oil changes, no cooldown, etc.) but with a little extra oomph on the road! )
Again this might be a "you" .... not necessarily "we"
I could go on..but I'm late for breakfast. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Some people prefer economy and others prefer more power. Subaru is giving you choices..what do you want??? Subaru is very limited with respect to the configuration of the engine bc of this thing they call Symetrical AWDF System (sound familiar?). Its easy as pie to change ratings..bores/strokes on inline engines with ancient drive systems...not so much the Subaru.

Subaru is a small company and the development of a new engine ishuge in terms of resources. If you look at Subaru sales in the last 5 years you'll see that they have better ideas than most of us. Once you actually own a Subaru you will understand a bit more.
Subaru is coming out with a 1.6L DIT for the Levorg. I could definitely see that becoming an option or even replacing the 2.5i.

It would offer good performance along with excellent fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
Subaru is coming out with a 1.6L DIT for the Levorg. I could definitely see that becoming an option or even replacing the 2.5i.

It would offer good performance along with excellent fuel economy.
Subaru is pretty good at long range planningh from what I can see. Seems hard to believe they would ditch the FB. I agree that small block turbos make a lot of sense..we'll see.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
I test drove both back to back and what sold me on the turbo wasn't so much the extra power as it was the way it felt as it was delivered. The turbo felt smoother and seemed quieter while accelerating more smoothly (probably due to the additional torque). In the end, I decided I liked the turbo enough to want an XT Premium, which incidentally costs about the same as the 2.5 Limited. I can skip the bump you get from limited trim in exchange for the engine/trans

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Automatic
22 Posts
I test drove both back to back and what sold me on the turbo wasn't so much the extra power as it was the way it felt as it was delivered. The turbo felt smoother and seemed quieter while accelerating more smoothly (probably due to the additional torque). In the end, I decided I liked the turbo enough to want an XT Premium, which incidentally costs about the same as the 2.5 Limited. I can skip the bump you get from limited trim in exchange for the engine/trans
+1. At normal highway driving, I think both do Ok, except that the turbo is quieter and much more smooth. I feel that the Subaru matched the tires for 2.5i, but they are not the best choice for turbo though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts