Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forester fans,

My 2006 X has a rattle sound somewhere in the lower front of the engine compartment that will almost disappear when warmed up.

I read that this problem might be a lose shield as I ask the tech at Pep Boys to check it when he changed my oil. He tells me that the shields look secure. So the dreaded next step is to figure out if I need a converter.

Any one with this type of issue?

84,000 miles. Yeah, 4000 miles past the converter warranty.

Artman

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
My 2006 X has a rattle sound somewhere in the lower front of the engine compartment that will almost disappear when warmed up. I read that this problem might be a lose shield as I ask the tech at Pep Boys to check it when he changed my oil. He tells me that the shields look secure. So the dreaded next step is to figure out if I need a converter.

84,000 miles. Yeah, 4000 miles past the converter warranty.
In a word - 'no'. If your cat was failing or getting flaky, you would be getting CELs with codes like p0420. Give the cat a physical inspection to be sure there are no rust spots, bullet holes, etc.

Your warranty comment notwithstanding, cats can last a long time. And, if their internal efficiency is off the mark, you might be able to clean the cat with citric acid and restore it to service.

Look for a loose bracket or suspension part or something - but probably not the cat.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
dave5358;2387010Your warranty comment notwithstanding said:
How do you clean it with citric acid? I haven't heard of this and am curious.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
dave5358;2387010Your warranty comment notwithstanding said:
How do you clean it with citric acid? I haven't heard of this and am curious.
Pleid sent you to the two main threads on this forum. Or, search the net.

This is the ultimate D-I-Y project. Basically, you have to fill the cat with a hot citric acid solution and let it stand for a few hours - maybe a day. If you can keep the solution hot during this period, so much the better. If you're going for the 24-hour soak, you might change solution about half way through.

- One of the threads suggests a BBQ grill.

- A Hibachi grill might also work. Remember, you can apply heat to almost any part of the assembly.

- Use a Coleman camp stove.

- Or, every couple of hours, you could simply re-heat the cat (full of solution) with a propane or MAPP gas torch.

- Or, if your oven is big enough, put the cat-cum-solution inside the oven. It might fit on a diagonal.

- Or fill the cat with solution, plug all the holes, then lower the whole thing into a bath tub filled with hot water. Get a submersible heating element to keep the water hot. Or, let the hot tap run slowly and go out the overflow.

The citric acid material is dirt cheap, and the cat really doesn't hold that much. It has to be your labor ('cause I've never heard of a shop doing this ;-) - they want to sell you a new one. You have very little to lose and a lot to save!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
Pleid sent you to the two main threads on this forum. Or, search the net.

This is the ultimate D-I-Y project. Basically, you have to fill the cat with a hot citric acid solution and let it stand for a few hours - maybe a day. If you can keep the solution hot during this period, so much the better. If you're going for the 24-hour soak, you might change solution about half way through.

- One of the threads suggests a BBQ grill.

- A Hibachi grill might also work. Remember, you can apply heat to almost any part of the assembly.

- Use a Coleman camp stove.

- Or, every couple of hours, you could simply re-heat the cat (full of solution) with a propane or MAPP gas torch.

- Or, if your oven is big enough, put the cat-cum-solution inside the oven. It might fit on a diagonal.

- Or fill the cat with solution, plug all the holes, then lower the whole thing into a bath tub filled with hot water. Get a submersible heating element to keep the water hot. Or, let the hot tap run slowly and go out the overflow.

The citric acid material is dirt cheap, and the cat really doesn't hold that much. It has to be your labor ('cause I've never heard of a shop doing this ;-) - they want to sell you a new one. You have very little to lose and a lot to save!
Haha! I can only imagine the comments my neighbors would make when they see me lighting the BBQ and then tossing on the car's exhaust!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts