Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 and 2010 Forester revs like heck at startup until I put it in neutral. My daughters Corolla won't even back down in neural. My Dakota and every other domestic (GM's, Ford and Dodge) begin to lower RPMs almost immediately.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Revs like mad? What's the tach read? If the 2010 is a pzev, it will rev faster than normal on cold start..as mentioned, to heat the cat converter. If it bugs you, tap the accelerator lightly, that should drop the revs to 1000-1500. Now the Corolla..there's a problem w/that particular vehicle (not all corollas). My wife's 2009 Corolla's engine is smooth and quiet .
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting about the catcon, never realized that. relative to the Corolla, its smooth, it is just that I don't like engaging the drive train at high RPMs, although I'm sure my daughter doesn't adhere to my obsessions! lol I do assume that they are reduced somewhat before actual engagement but not like engaging at 800 RPM.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
After starting it let it idle for 30 seconds, and the idle will come down to where you should feel comfortable putting it into gear. And as mentioned a blip on the throttle will bring it right down immediately.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be darn! Haven't tried tapping the pedal since the last time I drove something with a carb and that would have been a 10 ton flat bed before we went diesel 20 years ago. Worked like a charm and thank you all!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,380 Posts
The problem with tapping the accelerator too soon is that the cat doesn't heat up and I believe over time it damages the cat. Then again as long as you immediately drive off it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,452 Posts
If you don't have time to let the high idle drop down on it's own, I'd recommend tapping the accelerator before shifting into reverse or drive to reduce the shock to the transmission, if it's an AT. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
156 Posts
When I read it, I was just picturing an Asian ricer revving at people and driving too fast
haha I thought the same thing...

On my Forester upon cold startup, the revs are higher than normal, but once I shift out of Park, it drops down to normal. Bringing it back to P, however, brings the RPMs up again until the car has warmed up.

My old corolla (carb) has a choke feature that is activated by quickly tapping the gas to the floor once before starting. After letting it warm up for 10 seconds or so, a blip to the throttle brings the idle down (unless it's really cold out).

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
How high is "high"? 2K is nothing and better than 1K when cold, 3-4K is high.

Stan

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I've noticed that after I've gotten my reman'ed AT, mine does this too. But my original 05 AT never did. But yeah, 30 secs, it's down to 1k from 1.5k, then it continuously drops to 500rpm or so. Sure made waiting for the car to warm up MUCH less time than before :)

some asian kid in a wrx kept using the bov to make me turn my head. does that count as asian revving? :lol:

·
Registered
07 Forester
534 Posts
LOL! some how I read the title as "Do all Asian rev like mad at startup and won't slow down?"

:huh:

My sis has a Corolla which I hate parking, just tap on the gas a little and it flies foward. Really hard to park in a tight spot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts