Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SUBARU FORESTER
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I am thinking about tinting my back and backseat windows myself. It may help a lot during the 100deg summer of California. where do you suggest buying the supplies? i have a forester 2010. Thank you.

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
hey every auto parts store has the kits or you can go to the actual window tinting places and buy the kits. If you do get a kit make sure it is 3M. i would advise paying a company to just do it. u will get warrenty if it ever gets messed up(bubbles, unnormal fading or just comes off.) which ever you do good luck and it was probably one of my most favorite upgrades that i did to mine

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Some things are better left to the professionals... and window tinting is one of them.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
^amen. We DIY tinted some FLAT plexiglass panels that we used on a hunting shed, and it was ridiculously hard to make them come out well. Can't imagine DIY-ing a car.

·
Registered
2007 FXT 5MT
420 Posts
The only time I had a successful DIY tint was a 1983 Ford Ranger back window, which was perfectly flat and essentially square.

Another vote for let the pros handle it. If you dont have the cash, get some static film (temporary) for now and save up until you do.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I did DIY with some of the more expensive tint film from a common auto parts store. Never did it before and it came out pretty good. I started with rear side windows and progressed to front windows before doing back windows. Keys are reading instructions, planning, cleaning well, not getting in a hurry.

The rear window is especially difficult because of compound curves (curves both top-to-bottom and left-to-right. I did mine in 3 strips and used a hair dryer to shrink. If I ever have to do it again I might try getting a heat gun since they are more powerful and should work better, possibly eliminating the need for strips. The next hardest is the rear sides, but I didn't have to make strips on those.

Note mine is 2004 so different glass than your 2010. All yours might be harder.

I agree for many it might be better to pay a shop to do it.

It would be pretty cheap to buy 1 roll and install items and try your rear seat windows. If you're not good at it you wouldn't have lost much $. I would recommend not buying the cheapest tint film since it won't last as long.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You could not pay me to tint my own windows -- have you ever tried it before?

Tint isn't that expensive to do professionally and is so visible that it just makes 0 sense to do it yourself. There is no way you can make it look like a professional would.

Stan

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
One thing I was ready to shell out some money on. Had a shop around here that said 99 bucks to tint. Had another one want $300. Settled with a place that was well established and a little bit cheaper than the $300 guy. Definitely call around and SHOP when you get tint. These guys can give you quotes in less than a minute.

Sorry, I'm no help with DIY on tinting...but hot damn...doesn't my tint look good?? (look at avatar) ;)

The rear window is especially difficult because of compound curves (curves both top-to-bottom and left-to-right. I did mine in 3 strips and used a hair dryer to shrink. If I ever have to do it again I might try getting a heat gun since they are more powerful and should work better, possibly eliminating the need for strips. The next hardest is the rear sides, but I didn't have to make strips on those.
I read that not doing the back in 1 full sheet is worse than "crossing the streams". And we are all aware that you NEVER cross the streams.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
I agree tint should be left to professionals.
If you just want something cheap and quick to cut the sun, then get static cling tint, or at least a tint that uses a removable adhesive.

If you want your car to look good after a few summers..then get it done right.
I had a friend who did his own tint...he has horrible cuts he did with an exacto knife that are starting to peel up, he screwed up and cut though a few of his rear defrost lines, no ubbles yet, but it has only been a year since he did it.

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
I did a DIY tint with no problems. Forester is the third car I tinted in my life. 04 Fx was easy because of frameless windows in doors. The rear window is tricky so you have to use strips unless you have a good heat gun. Fozzie looks perfectly tinted and for around $50. I will post pictures later.

Before doing it I watched lots of youtube tinting videos.
Got Gila tint from autozone (I recommend getting the most expensive $15 Gila with UV blocking). There's also a narrow film for rear window that you can make strips from.

I bought the installation kit (spray bottle/squegee/knife/rag/dvd/) and practiced first.
Not sure how this tint will look after 6-10 years but I never kept my cars longer than 3-4years.

If you're handy and have time, you can do it. The more practice you get the better the outcome.

If you have extra $300 laying around then get it done professionally.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
One thing I was ready to shell out some money on. Had a shop around here that said 99 bucks to tint. Had another one want $300. Settled with a place that was well established and a little bit cheaper than the $300 guy. Definitely call around and SHOP when you get tint. These guys can give you quotes in less than a minute.

Sorry, I'm no help with DIY on tinting...but hot damn...doesn't my tint look good?? (look at avatar) ;)

I read that not doing the back in 1 full sheet is worse than "crossing the streams". And we are all aware that you NEVER cross the streams.
The seams line up pretty exact with defroster lines. I also have the dog guard, so I don't notice it driving. While I do wash my car regularly, I'm not a detail freak. I have gotten compliments from people riding in the cabin but I don't care that much what people think. I would rather take the money I saved and replace the front wheel bearings as preventive maintenance myself, for example.

If it didn't work well to my satisfaction though, I would have gladly paid a shop and still enjoyed the tint. It's all about what you like, if you get satisfaction DIY, and how much $ you have. :Banane35:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts