Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

MY'05 2.5XS is overdue for a TB replacement. I was wondering if this was a fairly straightforward DIY-type job, or if I should just take it to the stealership.

I've got tools out the wazoo, and have done TB changes before on other vehicles, just not on a Subie. Are there any special procedures/quirks that I should be aware of? I'd like to do it myself if possible to save some $$$.

Thanks,
Zach

PS - Plus, I'm not exactly a big fan of my stealership. They forgot to put an oil filter on my late Outback during a change, among other things. :crazy: The next closest place is over three hours away.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf

Here's a step by step for the SOHC .... starts on pg 8 ( page number 13 ). Worst part is breaking the crankshaft bolt loose. I use a breaker bar and lay it on the ground toward the drivers side, then hit the starter once. Voilà, nut loose and nothing else.

I just did MY 04 XS also, along with the water pump, I found the toothed idler, the one right next to the water pump, a little noisy when I turned it. So I replaced it. Took me less than 4 hrs start to finish. ( I also had a NEW tensioner I didn't need this time, but will keep it for the next time )

Another tip, to remover the radiator fans, I disconnected the upper hose from the radiator and that gave me enough room. I also COVERED the inside of the radiator ( toward the engine front ) with a piece of cardboard I taped in place. To prevent accidental damage to the radiator fins.

Old belt still looked good, but I must admit, the engine is definitely smoother after the replacement.

Good luck ..... keep us informed.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! I'll keep you guys informed, I may even take pics along the way... cuz we all know how much we like pics! :icon_biggrin:

It will be a couple of weeks, as I am out of town visiting family, but I'm trying to get my things together (parts ordered, etc...)

At 115k miles would you reccomend replacing the water pump? Or anything else for that matter? I'd like for the car to have as little downtime as possible. Pre-ordering is essential, as nobody carries parts for Subies where I live.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I would recommend the water pump. I also ordered a KIT that included a new belt, tensioner and all the pulleys. Like the following:
eBay Motors: 98-07 Subaru Forester 2.5 SOHC Timing Belt Kit (item 320269737532 end time Jul-08-08 17:07:58 PDT)

I didn't use Ebay, I called them directly as I needed a few kits for other cars as well. They did take a credit card number over the phone.

Huck has it all in pictures from his 01. Yours should be the same.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/timing-belt-pump-change-14416/

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I just got off the phone with my buddy, changing his timing belt. He used a Gates belt. Refer to the Endwrench PDF in reply 2, page 15 ( 10 of 12 ). They show the timing marks measured in Teeth from the center crankshaft mark. His passenger side was correct.

But when he lined up the drivers side cam pulley then put on the belt, he was 1/2 tooth off. He asked me, is it better to the left, or the right. I told him to line up the Cam Pulley mark with the mark on the head and put on the belt. Result, the belt mark was more to the drivers side of the cam mark. His belt was marked at 44 teeth ( in the belt Gully ) instead of 43.5 ( the belt high rib just before it ). After he got the belt on, but before putting it together, I asked him to start it. IT started right up. He shut it down, the rechecked the marks. All the Pulleys were CORRECT. The Drivers side mark was off by 1/2 tooth.

( Newer 2.5L are marked at 47 teeth on the passenger side and 43.5 on the drivers side )

FYI .............. Just in case you come across this .................

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,146 Posts
We need a good FAQ on timing belts. The subject comes up here every week or so, and we're pouring a lot of bits into it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
I pulled the list below from my files of info I printed out for future reference...and in case I can't find the thread when I need it.:biggrin:

This list was recommended by someone who worked at a Sub dealership and is what they recommend replacing while you have things torn apart doing the timing belt...
Cam seals
Crank Seal
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Thermostat
Drive Belts
Subaru Coolant + Sub Coolant Additive
Oil Filter
Small and Large radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc.

If anyone has anything else to add to the list please post it...I have ~40K miles until I do this replacement.:raspberry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts