Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been contacted numerous times for details on my mud flaps. I am surprised that I have not created a DIY for this yet. It was one of my first projects.

For urethane: rallylights.com

They charge by the square foot. I ordered mine in 18" by 24" pieces cut square at the corners. This size should let you get 2 flaps per sheet.

As with all my projects I start with free cardboard. You are actually able to mount the cardboard flaps to the Forester. This will allow you to customize the flap BEFORE you cut your expensive urethane. Please do not cut your urethane until you are absolutely positive of the placement and size.

Front mud flaps measurements:

My template is made from 5/8" particle board. I then trace the outline on the urethane then cut on my bandsaw.

More info and pictures to come. I have to get back to work. :shake:

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT MZM tuned
32 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seems that several people are waiting on answers. I purchased the Rally Armour flaps, but if you cut your own you can use these directions.

You dont so much have to worry about' what hardware to get, Just get, if I remember right, 4 2inch screws with a washer for each side and a nut that fits, and 8 2 inch washers for the screws existing on the vehicle. At least, thats what i used for my 04 fxt. one screw for each rear flap and one for each front, and then re-use the existing 2 screws and 2 brackets for the other flaps. I used the existing wheel well liner screws as the harware for the flaps, on the two other screw holes for each flap. I unscrewed the lower 3 screws on the wheel well liner (rear) and placed the urethane flaps over the holes, and then used them and one screw I recieved with my kit, to mount the flaps on. I made sure to use the wide 2 inch washers so the urethane wouldnt tear as easily, (the urethane felt easily tearable to me, although they have not had any issues after three weeks.) The screw and nut I got with my kit was used on the inner most hole for the rear, ( On the passenger side the screw needs to be watched so it does not interfere with the fuel system box, or whatever it was.) On the front I used two screws that was already on the vehicle(the top and bottom,) and one I recieved, for the middle. The wheel well liner on my vehicle had plenty of screws and threaded brackets to mount my flaps, without using the entire kit. Keep in mind i shelled out the money for the Rally Armour flaps, but the instructions and rest of the hardware was un-usable on my model (it was written for a model with much different hardware already on the car,) so I had to improvise.

P.S. its late as hell (I cant sleep much after my deployment, but I made money to mod my car which is nice:) and im writing this by memory and pictures, so bear with me. EDIT: PICS ARE UP ON PAGE TWO.
please ask questions if I made no sense, It makes sense to me but I have already done the job.

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT MZM tuned
32 Posts
The rear flap, i used the top and bottom screw already holding the wheel well liner on and the inner most screw was just a hole already ther waiting for my screw and nut that came with my kit.

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT MZM tuned
32 Posts
view of the flaps installed, I have yet to actually check if they are level with the ground like the instructions say, but I really dont care right now, I will get to it this weekend.

'

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT MZM tuned
32 Posts
By the way, if your wondering, those are OZ Racing wheels, Alleggerita 18", with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position wheels and tyres 225/45/18" There's a lot of clearance'in the wheel well that I didn't expect, I didn't do my math well, But these are my tarmac tyres and I still use my OEM wheels for dirt so I have not lowered it more, which would help the look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.