Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been asked to provide more info on how I made a light bracket for my Hella 500FF's that are mounted on the front of my Yakima basket.

This is what it looks like:

You will need 3/16th" thick aluminum and a place to bend it.

I cut mine using the following dimensions:

11" long
3" wide
3/16th" thick

Make a line across the piece that is 3" from the bottom and thus 8" from the top. On this line bend the aluminum to a 110 degree bend. You have now made a light bracket.

The mounting of the bracket is up to the individual. You can purchase Yakima hardware that makes mounting very very easy.

Where do you drill the hole for the lights? This is up to you and the light you are mounting. If the light being used has a deep back then you will either move the hole forward or make the bottom portion (the 3" long end) longer.

As with all my DIY projects...use cardboard first.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliment. My brackets were a lot cheaper than the Yakima version and also it didn't give my FXT Mickey Mouse ears.

I'll be making a similar bracket for the front grille when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
which yakima brackets did you use ? I called and they said I would need a pack of the standard "snap around " brackets ( sold in a a 4 pack ) for teh top tube and then a pack of teh fairing brackets ( sold in a 3 pack ) to fit the bottom tube .

do you get any bounce of the lights or is it nice and stable?

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
How did you route the power wires for the lights? I'm interested in using the stock roof racks for something similar and for a rear "convenience light" while in reverse or loading/unloading stuff. However, I'm not sure how I can easily get the wires from inside the car to up there without them getting in the way. And I'd like a "quick disconnect" style feature so I can remove the racks when I don't need the extra light. I'm thinking trailer wiring connections for weatherproof and simplicity.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
320 Posts
Please post up some pics on how you did your wiring, I want to get a rack in the futur but, I am unsure of how to get power up there.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran the wiring along the inside roof line of the foz.
Start at fuse panel and work your way up pillar along ceiling to you reach the trunk area. You can remove some of the rear panels.

Sorry about not posting pics while I wired but once I started I didnt stop til done.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT 5MT
33 Posts
How did you route the power wires for the lights? I'm interested in using the stock roof racks for something similar and for a rear "convenience light" while in reverse or loading/unloading stuff. However, I'm not sure how I can easily get the wires from inside the car to up there without them getting in the way. And I'd like a "quick disconnect" style feature so I can remove the racks when I don't need the extra light. I'm thinking trailer wiring connections for weatherproof and simplicity.
I am in the same boat. AJ- if you find a good idea or put something together I would be highly interested. Quick disconnect would be very desirable!

Sweet install SubieOutlaw!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts