Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo STi 6MT
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I overhauled some classic impreza 4 pots for a friend so I tried to document as best I could to make a little DIY.
This guide is made with 4 pots, but will be usable for most calipers as they are pretty much built up the same way.

This is the overhaul kit I got

4 Pot Stainless Steel Caliper Repair Kit

What I started with.

Took off all the dust covers

Started to take out the pistons, if you are going to reuse them, be careful not to damage them.

Left in the bores is a gasket which also helps to pull the piston back when brake pressure is lifted.
This needs to go as well. Careful not to scratch the bores!

Calipers are split in half and all gaskets are out

Finito

Had em glass blasted

Preparing the new stainless pistons with dust seal

Pull it all the way down to make sure it sits in its groove

New gasket in the caliper, just feed it in and make sure it sits correctly

Lube it up with the grease that comes with the repair kit or some silicone grease

Put the piston into the bore and wiggle it down. If its just pushed in right away it can snag on the gasket and push it out of the groove

Push the dust boot over the flange and put on the locking clip. Push it all the way down with a flathead screwdriver careful not to rip the boot.

All 4 parts finished with pistons

Time to put the halves together. Don't forget the o-ring between the calipers (2 per caliper). Lube em up with some of the grease and put the halves together.

Torque it up and mount them back on your car. Bleed and enjoy

(These will be painted before mounting ;) )

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Nicely done! I've added a link to this thread to the DIY section in our Knowledge Base.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Excellent write up and a service which I suspect many have wanted to do but without such clear views, were scared off. That service kit with the the eight SS pistons was an excellent find too, when I was looking I couldn't even get the pistons for that money. The calipers are so clean and shiny it almost seems a shame to paint them now.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
593 Posts
I just did a set of red 4 pots recently. I bought the stainless pistons & seal kit from ScoobyWorx.com, "Subaru" decals from Supergraphicsf1.com. Sellers are all UK based.

However no one seems to manufacture stainless pins, so I'm custom making some.

From these filthy things:

To these:

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Gentleman that did this rebuild, did you not bead blast the inside of the halves? I assume this would damage the bores?

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
Gentleman that did this rebuild, did you not bead blast the inside of the halves? I assume this would damage the bores?

You need to cover/seal the bores to blast the inside of the calipers.

I'm not thinking it would take too high of a pressure media blast so I would fill them with news paper then cover with a few layers of painters tape; much like painting/powdercoating them.

·
Registered
2003 forester 5 speed
6 Posts
Excellent write up. I have 2 sets of front 4 pots to do now. Hunting for 2 sets of rears to finish the sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts