Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I just finished my 60,000 mile service, thought I'd share some observations. Maybe some more folks are close to doing this service so this might be helpful to you. The parts cost me just under $200 including shipping. The work took 5 hours with 2 people working at a leisurely pace. A good buddy who is a mechanic helped me out. I have a 2005 XT.

OIL, OIL FILTER, AIR FILTER
These are all basic so I won't say anything else except that they need to be done.

A/C and ALTERNATOR BELTS (p/n 73323AC011 and 809218430)
This was easy too, just loosen the 3 12mm bolts with the green arrows (first 2 pics below) and then loosen the 2 12mm adjustment bolts, take the old belts off, put the new ones on, tighten it all up.

CABIN AIR FILTER (p/n 72880SA000)
Pretty basic, right behind the glove box, took 10 minutes, see the comparison pic #3 below old and new.

PCV VALVE (p/n 11819AA001)
Somehow I forgot to take pics of this. Took about 45 minutes, you have to remove the TMIC, it's right there under the throttle body. I didn't remove the TB but it would have made it easier, it took some creative maneuvering with various tools to get it out. Back started hurting after all the leaning over at this point.

FUEL FILTER (p/n 42072FE020)
It has been debated whether or not this is necessary. It took about one hour start to finish and is pretty basic. The hardest thing really is getting the filter/pump assembly in and out of the tank. There are some great write-ups about that tell you exactly what to do. I found it easy to get it back in by lifting the float into the "up" position. Then you have to move stuff around and get it beyond all the hoses and such but it's not too bad. There's a pic below (#4) of the old filter element, dark but not filled with particles or anything. You will smell like gasoline after doing this!

SPARK PLUGS (p/n 22401AA630)
This was a nightmare. Thank goodness I had someone who knew what they were doing here. I've changed plugs before but this is not for the average joe to try and accomplish. Took several hours. I think this is the big chunk of the $700 the dealership wants. I have a few pics (#5 and 6) below....look at my green arrows...you can't see what the heck you're doing at any time; there is never more than a few inches to work with, even with the battery, washer tank and airbox off. Since you are working blindly it is very easy to crossthread things here, which we did, but were able to correct before it was too late. Back starts hurting real quick, you're all twisted and contorted into a shape that the human body was not meant to be in...I would have been yelling profanities but fortunately I had someone who knew what they were doing. I'd suggest steering away from this unless you feel pretty confident under the hood. I'm definitely not going to attempt plugs on this car next time.

So, in conclusion, all was easy except for the plugs. The car started right up and drove wonderfully. I might have noticed a tiny improvement in performance with all of this, but it's probably just me. Most of the parts I removed were in decent shape; I don't know that anything other than the oil really NEEDED to be changed, but what the heck, it's done, and I'm sure it will prevent issues in the future.

Jeff

PS edit - I forgot to mention brake fluid and coolant changes due at 60k, which I did a few months back when I did upgrades. Don't forget those...

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,732 Posts
I enjoyed reading your write up & the pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :wink:

I thought about doing the spark plug change on my '03 X, but had the dealership do it, since it was in for other maintenance. I'm still trying to find the spark plugs on my '07 XT, so this may be another one for the dealership. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still trying to find the spark plugs on my '07 XT, so this may be another one for the dealership. :icon_eek:
On the driver's side, look at the small crevace between your engine and the area right under the washer fluid resevoir. Locate the same place respectively on the passenger's side. You will see the wires leading to the plugs doing into the engine, 2 on each side, deep in there. I posted a few pics of what they look like. I think your '07 is about the same. PITA for sure.

·
Administrator
38,732 Posts
It would be kinda nice if they still used a single coil pack & spark plug wires. That way you could follow the wires to the plugs. :wink:

On the positive side, I believe the new spark plugs are Iridium so they're good for 60K miles. That's what I put in the '03 X. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Has anyone tried to change plugs from the bottom side? Not that I have but I am wondering if it may be easier. :shrug:

Great info by the way...thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Thanks for posting the part numbers :biggrin:

the plugs takes about 20-30 minutes tops to change out and that is with you taking your time. You only need to remove the air filter housing. a 3" and 5" extension, spark plug socket and a 3/8" reversible ratchet is all you need plus a screwdriver and 10mm socket for the airbox removal.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
My girlfriend was charged $150 to change the plugs on her 03 foz. Made a huge differnece in gas milage.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Ooh yeah I should do my AC and alt belts. I thought my manual said to wait until 105k but I'd rather do preventative maintenance than reactive.

Should also do coolant drain and refill or flush, brake fluid change, power steering fluid refresh, change diff fluids and tranny fluid (4eat)... what else..

·
Administrator
38,732 Posts
My girlfriend was charged $150 to change the plugs on her 03 foz. Made a huge differnece in gas milage.
That's pretty close to what I paid. My '03X was around $100 & I provided the Iridium spark plugs that I'd purchased. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should also do coolant drain and refill or flush, brake fluid change, power steering fluid refresh, change diff fluids and tranny fluid (4eat)... what else..
Oh yeah I forgot about coolant and brake fluid change, these are part of the 60k service. I did coolant a few months ago with the turbo upgrade, and brake fluid a few months ago with the brake upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for posting the part numbers :biggrin:
You're welcome!

the plugs takes about 20-30 minutes tops to change out and that is with you taking your time. You only need to remove the air filter housing. a 3" and 5" extension, spark plug socket and a 3/8" reversible ratchet is all you need plus a screwdriver and 10mm socket for the airbox removal.
Mmm....NO. At least not unless you're the Chuck Norris of auto mechanics. Maybe 30 minutes each but not for all 4. You need to remove much more than that and you need a few swivel extensions also. You're making it sound easy - if the engine was out of the car it would be a cinch, but getting to it all is the hard part.

Nice avatar BTW. I don't remember that scene in any of the movies. :biggrin:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
just a thought ...

I never thought the plugs in a subaru were that difficult either ...

but then i've never had a turbo and mine is an '04 NA, previously had '00s.

maybe the newer and/or turbos really are more a PITA?!

4 plugs in a subaru is a little easier than 16 in a 5.7 Dodge! :biggrin:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
just a thought ...

I never thought the plugs in a subaru were that difficult either ...

but then i've never had a turbo and mine is an '04 NA, previously had '00s.

maybe the newer and/or turbos really are more a PITA?!

4 plugs in a subaru is a little easier than 16 in a 5.7 Dodge! :biggrin:
It's not difficult. It's just annoying to move in a cramped space. lol

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh, hey you guys feel free to keep your stories of mechanical heroism coming, but remember I was just sharing what the average weekend mechanic might encounter in trying to save some $$$ and do this service themself, yeah I'm not an expert Subaru spark plug changer, is that still allowed here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QvSoRQrVJg

·
Administrator
38,732 Posts
What's that saying? "A man's got to know his limitations!" I'm retired & I love MODding, but there are some things that I'll leave for my trusted Subaru dealership, like the spark plug changing, especially on my '07 FSXT! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Thanks for the post. My 60k maintenance is fast approaching. I am dreading doing the spark plug change as well. Thanks for reminding me that most newer cars now use individual coil packs. I probably would've gotten a few chuckles for asking for an 08' spark wire set.

Good thing you had a mechanic helping you, I have to teach my wife. Not only all the 60k maintenance, but the brakes, the oil changes and soon enough a timing belt, clutch and a rear main seal from a different car. She wants to learn how but I can already hear her yelling at me for not having the right tools to make things easier. That's what I get for being a former hardcore hobbyiest.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
Mmm....NO. At least not unless you're the Chuck Norris of auto mechanics. Maybe 30 minutes each but not for all 4. You need to remove much more than that and you need a few swivel extensions also. You're making it sound easy - if the engine was out of the car it would be a cinch, but getting to it all is the hard part.

Nice avatar BTW. I don't remember that scene in any of the movies. :biggrin:
yeah, it's rare for poster to put out part numbers when they do write-ups so details do help a lot :biggrin:

hey, i'm just saying that it took me less than half an hour to do the job on mine and i'm not trying to make you feel bad about your experience :shrug: each to his own experiences, right?

but, YES, the job can be done rather quickly with the right tools (*hint~ mini-cheater bar and quick release reversible ratchets). Don't worry you'll get the hang of it when you've done it twice or so and eventually make it sound easy too :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts