Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a nice drive to Red Deer. While On my way home I noticed I had a 1/8 tank left and figured I was ok.

FYI Red Deer to Calgary is 130 km.

Half way home the gas needle went to "E" the well below E in a matter of 15 minutes.

A made a detour and put 59.8 litres in my tank. This is the first time I have let it get below 1/4 full. Quite concerned about how quickly I drained it. I was going 118 km/hr.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
I was on a nice drive to Red Deer. While On my way home I noticed I had a 1/8 tank left and figured I was ok.

Half way home the gas needle went to "E" the well below E in a matter of 15 minutes.

A made a detour and put 59.8 litres in my tank. This is the first time I have let it get below 1/4 full. Quite concerned about how quickly I drained it. I was going 118 km/hr.

Thoughts?
Winter gas :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts

Thoughts?
Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate below a 1/2tank. Below a 1/4 is a fools game. If i wait till my light comes one, my needle is literally on E and it takes about 14 gallons.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
The one time I let my 09X's low fuel light come on, I was shocked at how much gas the tank took...thing was darn near empty.When my Taurus' low fuel light came on I'd still have 4 or 5 gallons left. Just sort of a "suggestion "light. I don't like to go lower than 1/4 tank now w/the Forester. Why chance it? I'm not Kramer...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
When my '09 is showing 1/4 tank it always takes from 11.5 to 12 gallons when I fill it up. For mine, the Fast March is from full to 3/4 mark. That seems to occur somewhat quicker than the rest of the movement.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
When the Distance To Empty display hits ~20 miles, I end up putting almost 15.9 gallons in.
The new models have this? Nice, I love this feature in on our LGT.

With my forester, once it goes below 1/4 a tank, I fill up just to be safe.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
How far into the drive did you notice you had 1/8 of a tank left? I figure if you squeezed 130 km (~80 miles) out of 1/8 of a tank, that's pretty impressive. I won't count on anything more than 100 miles total once the needle hits 1/4.

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
242 Posts
Try running E85, and the low gas light comes on. I know I am screwed. I have probably 20 miles left. I have been meaning to test it, since I have a 2 gallon gas tank full, in my trunk.
I start out in the morning to go to work, and my gas gauge is on 1/4. By the time I drive home, I am on E. I have 15 mile drive to work, and depending how I go, on the way home... about 18 miles.
But, it's all good. Love E85.
Absubtle
CO

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
...made a detour and put 59.8 litres in my tank.
Yikes! Rated tank capacity is 64 liters (16.9 US gallons).

When my '09 is showing 1/4 tank it always takes from 11.5 to 12 gallons when I fill it up.
Same for mine. IOW, there's about 5 US gallons (~19 liters) left in the tank, so it's time to plan accordingly. I'll filled up with a tad over 14 gallons (~53 liters) on three occasions, when the low fuel lamp was on and the gauge indicated ~1/8 tank.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
09 Forester Touring
179 Posts
How many kilometers do you normally get on a tank of gas?
I usually get 525.

I drove to Red Deer once (different car) after putting a K&N air filter in, I used 3/4 of a tank to get there.
Did you make any weird changes to the car lately?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Try running E85, and the low gas light comes on. I know I am screwed. I have probably 20 miles left. I have been meaning to test it, since I have a 2 gallon gas tank full, in my trunk.
I start out in the morning to go to work, and my gas gauge is on 1/4. By the time I drive home, I am on E. I have 15 mile drive to work, and depending how I go, on the way home... about 18 miles.
But, it's all good. Love E85.
Absubtle
CO
You shouldn't be running E85 in a Subaru. Long term I think it will cause you problems.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
I have never seen the low fuel light come on (yet). Gas stations in the interior of BC can be so far apart that I do not chance it, I will fuel up in specific places.

That being said, I have not noticed any difference in how fast the gauge drops when it gets to that 1/4 tank reading. The Ford's I have driven tho..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts