Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I had Discount Tire mount tires on brand new rims. My setup is Rota Recce 17x8 wrapped in Yokohama G015 225/65/17's. I took it back there on Wednesday due to terrible cabin vibration when going over maybe 20mph.. I just figured they needed to re-balance the tires, no big deal. Instead they checked and said the balance was fine, but my rims did not come with hub centric rings and that is what is causing the issue.. I was kind of surprised they didn't mention that when installing the first time, but ok, no big deal only $10..

The drive home from DT doesn't require me to exceed speeds of 45mph so I thought it was resolved.. When I went to work the next day I am getting vibration again in speeds over 50mph. Should I take it back once again even though they said the balance was perfect on all tires? Should I just take it to the dealership and possibly have to day for balance/alignment?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
66 Posts
Some places -- including Goodyear Auto Service stores -- offer a free alignment check. I'd start there.

If that doesn't solve it, you might want to check for an out-of-round wheel. But the only way you'd discover that is to have the tires dismounted and the wheels rolled across a flat, solid floor. If there is a wheel out of round you'll see and hear it immediately.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Discount tire will only spin balance the tires.
Take it somewhere that does road force balancing to have them checked. Road force is tested at higher speeds and also uses a bar to push on the tire to simulate driving weight forces. (road... force... Get it?) :lol:

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
I would take it back to Discount and talk with them again. If you paid them to mount and balance, they are on the hook to make it right as far as that goes. Maybe one of the hub centric rings is out of whack. Definitely start there.

Yes, there is a possibility of an out of round wheel, but that would be an issue to take up with Rota or the distributor you purchased the wheels through if they are new wheels. Can't say that I've ever personally heard of quality control issues like that with Rota though, but possible. Either way the folks at Discount should be more than willing to try and solve the problem, even if that means dismounting all four tires to check the wheels.

Unless you were having issues before the new wheels/tires, it's not very likely that the problem has anything to do with alignment. Cars don't just go out of alignment spontaneously. On vehicles that sit at factory ride height the only things that affect the alignment are worn or broken parts, or damage due to an accident. It does not appear that you have done anything to alter the driveline angles, ie lifting or lowering the vehicle significantly. So that is pretty much right out. Also vibrations that manifest above 50-60MPH are almost universally wheel balance related in some capacity.

Sorry about your bad luck. Hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
66 Posts
Also vibrations that manifest above 50-60MPH are almost universally wheel balance related in some capacity.
Not necessarily true. A persistent vibration at 55-57 mph on my E-Class Mercedes, for example, was only cured by careful alignment. Repeated wheel balancing and changing of wheel positions did nothing to solve the problem.

·
Registered
18 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't have any issues with the stock wheels/tires, cars still pretty new at only 8k on the odometer.. I'll give them one last try to resolve this and if they can't I'll take it elsewhere. I definitely feel it's a balance issue because it only happens after certain speeds and I feel it in the steering wheel as well as hear a slight droning.

The out of round wheel scares me, they did mention one tire needing to be balanced slightly differently than others, but they never said why and I never asked, but it was a rear tire and I feel the Can you balance an out of round tire and "fix" it? Or should I contact the vendor if that's the case and get it swapped out?

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
18 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should also note, this is a very slight vibration now that I got those hub rings installed, but it's enough to feel in the steering wheel and shake my window visors..

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
[they did mention one tire needing to be balanced slightly differently than others]

You can check the amount of weights put on each individual wheel. If one wheel has a massive amount of weights compared to the other three, you may have an out of round or bent wheel. While you may be able to balance a bent/deformed wheel, it is not a "fix" if you will. That said, if a wheel is that far out of line the folks at Discount would have had a tough time even getting close. They also probably would have made it clear that this was the case.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,172 Posts
OP, where did you buy the wheels?

Rotas are not exactly a quality wheel. If they are balancing fine, then it's probably one of the wheels that's the issue. Not unheard of. Find a place to test the wheel for round.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
654 Posts
Discount tire can tell if a wheel is out of round as well with their equipment. If one was out of round they should have brought it to your attention.

·
Registered
2017 '08 2.5x / '17 2.5i 4EAT, CVT
181 Posts
Another possibility is a defective tire. I bought a set of Pirelli Cinturatos that I really liked at Discount tire several years ago for a Honda Civic. So much so that when my Toyota Tacoma needed tires I went back and put a set on it. On the way home it was clear something was wrong since it felt like a couple tires were out of balance. So I turned around, went back and they re-balanced them. It helped but was still not quite right so I went back when I had time a few days later. After some head-scratching in the shop they got the boss involved for a closer look and found that 3 of the 4 tires weren't exactly round. What??? They replaced all 4 tires and that fixed the issue. The tires on both vehicles ended up being fine but I haven't bought Pirelli's since.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limit CVT
291 Posts
Have you checked tire pressure? Discount has a habit of setting the pressure way above what the door jam says to

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought the Rotas off Amazon as they had the best deal, $690. I've heard mixed opinions on the Rotas but the model I went with just looked too good!!

I'm not sure how much they checked on the second visit, once they figured out I didn't have hub centric rings that is what they focused on.. My paperwork shows from both visits that the tires are filled 33 in the front, 32 in the year. I feel the vibration most in my steering wheel and from the footwell.

I've made a call to the nearest dealership and alignment check is free, but checking balance is $119+taxes, I might take it back to discount tire ONE last time, because they've been helpful so far, just really disappointed in all these visits..

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 50t CVT
14 Posts
had the EXACT same problem with Discount tire when they installed a set of Nokians for me. Wrote Nodian and they called local shop and resolved.

Problem was that the initial install of the tires require they be overinflated to set the bead, like double the pressure, not sure what it was exactly. Went back 3 times till it got figured out, All discount tire kept doing was rebalancing and I had weights all over the rims... lol till it got resolved.

might drop a note to the tire company or question that they verify the mounting procedures.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
Discount tire will only spin balance the tires.
Take it somewhere that does road force balancing to have them checked. Road force is tested at higher speeds and also uses a bar to push on the tire to simulate driving weight forces. (road... force... Get it?) :lol:
My local Discount Tire has Road Force balancing.

·
Registered
2007 Outback H6R
12 Posts
I bought MR502 Vt-Spec's from discount tire, the pack was dropped somewhere along the way, one wheel was bruised/malformed slightly, took it to one shop, said it won't be an issue, started a Fedex insurance process, but Fedex is a pro at the process, it's designed to wear you off, you can't even learn the result of the process, called them several times, couldn't get anywhere, long story short, pure nonsense, they succeeded in wearing me off

Anyway, I got 225/70/15 Geolandar G015's, similar vibration, managed to only reduce it (pretty much replaced every suspension part too, including front cv axles) - I did briefly test original wheel/tire's at one point, they were much better

Like you mentioned, it's highly likely G015's have a general production issue, my balancer also mentioned the possibility of a malformed tire

Anyway, TL;DR: Got nowhere, I live with the vibration (slight vibration at 100km/h), going to try Grabber AT3's next, but since my vehicle is a hobby vehicle, I'll never wear the G015's off, so it will be a waste of money to replace them

I also wonder whether the vibration is caused by another drivetrain issue, like the main axle that connects the rear/front drivetrain - and I only noticed it during these changes - When I consult my mechanic, he always suggests I let the issue go too, he says the average subaru he deals with vibrates 10x more and I have it good :D

But I do wish I could just achieve that perfect, firm, non-vibrating driving experience </vent>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts