Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAWRENCE, Mass. -- Massachusetts police say they have seized a Porsche and thousands of dollars' worth of car parts at the home of a man charged with running a chop shop in New Hampshire.

Morgan Kipper, 26, was arrested on Tuesday and charged with stealing a Ferrari and several Subarus. Police said that they found the Ferrari in a storage unit in Merrimack, N.H.

Massachusetts State Police searched Kipper's home in Billerica, Mass., on Thursday. Police said that they found a $60,000 Porsche that had its engine removed and was stripped of parts.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
something to consider... because of the frameless doors, it's really easy to pull the glass back and stick a slim jim or something into the car..

most car thieves now use non-destructive entry methods, a fav is to pull the glass back, and using a long stick, hit the unlock button.. this will unlock all the doors...

What I've done is when the alarm is activated, I've got a relay that disables the door unlock button.

Fairly basic, if you're getting an alarm put in, they can put this in usually for free, or at most the cost of the relay which is like 5 bux...

How do I know the above ? Well.. first hand experience... (receiving end, not stealing end...)

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
twg, good advice with the relay thing.

I can tell you first hand as well that you can pull back the window on many cars out there and not just ones without window frames like our Subarus. Thieves can even use nabbing tools to get manual door lock vehicles to open. I have done it to a few of my friends' car whom accidently lock themselves out.

Just helping out, not a thief. :smile:

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Why are the doors frameless? Is this to cut production costs or are frameless doors a positive that I don't realize?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I actually like the frameless doors (maybe i'm the only one here)

They are pretty "pimping" in the summer time with the windows down, and then when you open your doors, everyone goes "wow cool"

convertable doors...

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
higgledy said:
Why are the doors frameless? Is this to cut production costs or are frameless doors a positive that I don't realize?
I think it has always been that way with Subaru vehicles.

Like SenorSubie said, it's pimpin' and gives the car a sport appeal. Wagons with sport door are too cool! :Banane36:

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
higgledy said:
It's a "before your time thing"...a spinoff of the 50's and 60's "hardtop convertible" look, where front and rear doors would open with no pillar between them...with doors closed, and windows down, you'd have "the convertible look" (no middle pillars).
I suspect Subaru was trying to appeal to you (the buyer) without realizing that it apparently doesn't suit our (the buyer's) fancy.
We're a hard public to please...;>}
-Quick

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
Actually, the doors are frameless in order to make the door structure lighter, and the A, B, and C pillars more substantial without adding additional weight.

I believe it was a by-product of the rally development program in the '70s, with the GL turbo.

The only modern Subaru vehicles to have "framed" doors are the SVX (due to the window design) and the Tribeca.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
twg said:
most car thieves now use non-destructive entry methods, a fav is to pull the glass back, and using a long stick, hit the unlock button.. this will unlock all the doors...
I thought they were deadlocks. So if you lock the car from outside, pressing the interior button won't unlock them. Must admit I haven't tested it, but it was in the brochure.

(Or is this another thing that is different in different countries).

-- Steve

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
could be different in the UK... you can unlock the doors using the inside unlock switch regardless of how you locked it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Who steals a Subaru?? When I went to a Subaru-dealer, looking before buying, he told me about all the benefits, that its a very good, long lasting car and after a long brake added: "By the way: nobody is going to steal a Subaru". Indeed, in Austrian and German statistics it seems as if nobody wants to steal a Subaru (in comparison, after the iron curtain fell, 3/4 of all Jeep Cherokees were stolen in our country).

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
vavrath said:
Who steals a Subaru??
I give up trying to figure people out. People do the darndest things with little respect & regard to others. The most I can do is take proper precautions and make myself less of a victim if it should happen to me.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
twg said:
could be different in the UK... you can unlock the doors using the inside unlock switch regardless of how you locked it.
I tested it today and they are deadlocks. I sat in the car and locked it with the remote, and then tried to open it from the inside. No way! The armrest lock/unlock button just did nothing. The inside door handles moved freely but didn't work. And the door latches would not move by hand.

I think Subaru fit a different alarm system for the UK market for insurance approval, so maybe the deadlocking is part of that.

-- Stebe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts