Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, fellow Forester Fans -
First, I was 'talked' into buying a Forester after I mentioned to a fellow co-worker/Sub-lover that I liked the way they look..proven to be a bad move thus far.

After I've owned this thing for 2 weeks, a 'click' turned into a 'clunk' and finally; loud banging as the driveshaft seperated from itself. So, I just have a couple quick questions - I won't bother you guys long :/

1. Can you replace just the carrier bearing (I've read otherwise on other forums/people's post, but you can never be certain from those)

2. If not ^^, Which driveshafts will work, are better?, etc? My co-worker/Sub lover insists that the Forester is simply an Impreza with a different body, so I assume those will work.

3. Where do I get one? Are used ones okay if they have no signs of significant wear? Although, I don't want to have to go through this again..

Thank you for all of your help and as soon as this is fixed, be on the look out for a very nice Forester for sale here w/ a new motor ('03 Motor w/ receipts) and quite possibly a new drive shaft. . :icon_mad:

It's a '98, Auto w/ a new '03 Motor (60k on motor) - and otherwise no issues besides: (cruise not working, back wiper not working, horn not working). :p

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
You might save your self some trouble by checking out the local MN forum and seeing what members there have. MNSubaru.com also if you decide to keep it it may be worth your while to join MNsubaru as a club member($10 fee for a year gets you a nice discount at the local Morries dealers as well as many other places.

Personally, it's a 11-12 year old vehicle a few problems are to be expected. I doubt it would be worth it to bail on a vehicle over a drive shaft issue, get it fixed. As far as getting parts I would say join up on MNsubaru and ask if any one has a spare sitting in their garage, many of us have spare parts left over from projects and I know a few have drive line stuff.

If you want to try and get just the part replaced try AA Drive Line in Anoka (763) 427-2385 They are a drive line specialty shop and may be able to source just the carrier bearing and rebuild the driveshaft(u-joints, technically not replaceable)(they have made a couple of custom shafts for me).

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,786 Posts
This place is amazing! New member shows up, asks a pretty specialized question, and in just over two hours gets an absolutely pin point answer, complete with the phone number of an appropriate specialty shop, from a member who (figuratively at least) lives right down the street!

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
This place is amazing! New member shows up, asks a pretty specialized question, and in just over two hours gets an absolutely pin point answer, complete with the phone number of an appropriate specialty shop, from a member who (figuratively at least) lives right down the street!
I'm not at all surprised. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
I myself broke a propeller shaft due to corrosion. I picked one up from my local Subaru forum for a really good price. People swap engine in their cars and have extra parts kicking around.

Don't get rid of a car due to problems. Fix it and keep it. I rebuilt my engine recently and wanted to sell it. I changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Any 5MT Subaru driveshaft will work. Forester, Impreza, Legacy. They are all interchangeable.

You MIGHT have to do some modification, as the carrier bearing for the Forester is a little different than the other models, but it wouldn't be anything outrageous.

The easiest thing to do would be to get one from a Forester. Junkyards typically have a few and don't charge too much. I think our local pick-n-pull charges $12 for a driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
....It's a '98, Auto w/ a new '03 Motor (60k on motor) - and otherwise no issues besides: (cruise not working, back wiper not working, horn not working). :p
Any 5MT Subaru driveshaft will work. Forester, Impreza, Legacy. They are all interchangeable.

So shafts for the 5MT and Auto are interchangeable?

EDIT

Quoted from Chux on MNSubaru.com http://mnsubaru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=686199&postcount=7

depends. no, subaru doesn't sell the bearing. no, a dealer will not fix it. they'll tell you to buy a whole new driveshaft. but they'll tell you that about the u-joints too and that's not entirely true either.

But, SOME driveshafts (more common on older ones....) have a flange between the carrier bearing and middle u-joint. remove the 4 bolts to separate these pieces, and you'll find a nut which will allow you to remove the flange. then the carrier bearing/bracket can be pressed off the shaft. and the bearing pressed out of the bracket.

at that point, a bearing is a bearing. some phone calls and a couple internet searches and you'll probably be able to find a new one for pretty cheap (I'd be shocked if it was more then $20).

it's more work than most people would want to put into their car, they'd rather just buy a whole new shaft and be done with it. but....you could buy all the tools to do it (including the press and bench vice) for less than a new shaft from the dealer.

that said, bearing/u-joint failure is very rare (not unheard of. I've had them fail on my cars), a used shaft will probably be a great option. all EJ-series (legacy, impreza, forester, outback, tribeca) use the same slip yoke on the transmission, carrier bracket in the middle, and flange at the rear diff (with the exception of the STis). so the only thing you have to watch out for is length. front half is determined by transmission, rear by model (legacy is longer. so you'll need an

·
Registered
98 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great to know..I've been looking and will have to keep looking until I find one. Thanks again, flstffxe.

Are any 'beefier' than others?

The idea of pulling my own in 12" of snow and 0 degree weather doesn't sound too enticing at the moment :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2004 forester automatic awd
4 Posts
Hi, same problem with my Forrester. The CV joint broke - truth is i had ignored the noise for a week! Anyway, went to the spare shop and could not get the CV joint as it has 27outer x23inner splines. CVs for impreza are in every shop! but impreza has 27x30, others have 27x 22 ! The drive shaft size is the same! So i ended buying a new shaft at usd 280! The CV joint alone would have been USD 50!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts