Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw a procedure on how to do this. Anyone one where that is?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
No more DRLs! I also removed the resistor off of the shock tower and will keep that in my toolbox, or somewhere. I figure there's no sense on leaving the box and its plug just sitting out in the open. I took half a plastic bag, wrapped the end of the plug that comes from the harness and zipped tied it shut. I then snaked the cables up towards the airbox and zip tied it securely to another set of wires.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
If you have a low-end insurance company and you get into an accident, it might be wise to re-enable the DRLs before the adjuster arrives, just so they won't try to back out on you because you disabled OEM safety equipment.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I don't want to disable my DRL's either but many people do. There is always a debate on this subject. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Once I had Farmer's insurance and this jackass t-boned my car backing out of a parking space. The first thing they asked was if my headlights were on- it wasn't even a cloudy day. Anyway, I HAD my lights on but they were just looking for a reason to screw me.

Long story, I got screwed since my Farmer's agent didn't want to go up against the big State farm agent in town. I still haven't let this one go:) . I was broke, in college, and my car remained busted up since I could not afford to fix it.

Be careful with this mod or it can be a really expensive one. Insurance companies will look for any reason to deny a claim.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I just don't care for them. I don't see how they can claim it's a safety item when one car has them and another doesn't. I know there are studies out there that back up the claim that they reduce accidents, make you safer, etc.

When it's inclement out I prefer to manually switch on the lights myself. Who knows, maybe I'll want them and re-enable them. I disabled them on my 99 Passat. My 03 Focus SVT didn't have them (due to having HIDs). And now, the FXT doesn't have them.

However, this is the first time I've ever seen somebody bring up the insurance angle. I'm wondering how they can claim that they're required when some cars still don't have the feature. If it was federally mandated then maybe I can see it. BTW, I'm insured with Bristol West.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
I really don't know whether they're federally mandated. Can anybody help? I'm quite sure that they're required in Canada, but I don't know about the US. Or even NH. I'm very much OK with "Live Free or Die," but on matters like DRLs or seatbelts I'd prefer to take a few steps that help preclude the latter while staying close to the concept of the former.

I don't think it's as much a matter of the insurance companies claiming that they're required as it is one of their looking for a way out and pointing to the DRLs as an indication that "you willfully chose to disable safety features that could have helped prevent the accident." At least the bottom dwellers in the insurance industry.

Law regarding DRLs hasn't sorted itself out yet. There's a busy stretch of two-lane state road near my house in MD where lots of people (including a colleague from work) have been killed, where lights are now mandatory. The Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post has received conflicting reports from different official sources as to whether DRLs qualify. Another issue is the "wipers on, lights on" requirement in many states. DRLs do OK in satisfying the headlight aspect of this, but they don't turn on the taillights. This contributes to a car becoming invisible from the rear during periods of heavy road mist.

I'll never disable mine. Other than a minor hit on MPG and perhaps a minor shortening of bulb life, there aren't any downers about them, so I'm willing to believe that their impact is at worst neutral and at best might save my life. They don't offend me.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
There is no federal law that mandates use of DRL's in the U.S. Maybe some states require it, but I can't see how that could be the case when so many cars don't even have the feature.

"Wipers on, lights on" became law here in California a year ago, though.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
pleiad7 said:
There is no federal law that mandates use of DRL's in the U.S.
Never thought so. But wondered whether they might have become mandatory equipment on new cars.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Just from my own logical perspective- I glance in my rear view mirror every few seconds as a matter of habit. I always see vehicles with driving lights/headlights from a long way off. They are just more visible to me so I do the same and keep mine on. I have done that with any car just by turning the headlights on.

I just don't see a downside. I have disabled the headlight on all my motorcycles with a flip switch when needed. Sometimes (in my younger days), we had to go into stealth mode when under pressure:lol:

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
pleiad7 said:
"Wipers on, lights on" became law here in California a year ago, though.
Thats been the law here in Florida for years. It makes good sense when you think about it. Even though I don't care for DRL's, I would like to see Headlights tied to the winshield wipers.

Flyer said:
Sometimes (in my younger days), we had to go into stealth mode when under pressure:lol:
Sounds very familiar and when under extreme pressure, we'd have to reach back to bend up the license plate.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Hehe, that sounds like a trend- the "under pressure" thing:lol:

The PD could never even come close so they contacted us through a website we had, where they offered to "let things go" if we came in and talked to the Chief's representative. Well, the thing is that the really crazy, hooligan stuff was being done by some real hooligans who rode into the city and raised hell by taunting the cops and leading them on chases every weekend.

Since we were the stable group, the cops thought it was us and started to mess with us, leading to all the "stealth stuff" and we are all good riders so after two cop cars got completely trashed when they slid into ditches on a chase at night on some roads we know really well, they offered us a "truce."

We never went in- we emailed them and said we had no idea what they were talking about and quit riding near that area- and became more responsible since our luck would run out eventually. However, for a three-month period, they came after us all the time. We primarily wore our dark leathers at night and rode in groups we could easily outrun if needed- at night we almost always ride with a bunch of slow guys (strangers who congregated at the main hangout) for safety:twisted:

They did start leaving us alone after they caught up with a couple of the real hooligans who were decent enough to say that we did not even like riding with them because of the crazy antics. Anyway, our track days kept us safe along with some luck so we decided that enough was enough after a few DOZEN runs. That was probably the closest thing I've done that has some semblance of being a rebel. Now I'm a model citizen with a few investments and a Forester:p

Don't hold those days against me- I had no control over the addiction of adrenaline rushes.

I still like my daytime "running" lights:p

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love having all of my lights on all of the time. It just looks cooler, especially with the giant fogs. How do some people have pictures of only their fog and parking lights on, but their headlights off? Is that a different mod? I have seen some pictures of that, and if it were safe conditions, I can see why that might be another reason to disable them. But I don't know if that is even possible with just diabling the DRL's. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I would actually like to add a couple of aftermarket fogs to my Forester and run them independently.

D

·
0 Posts
I think that in really bad foggy conditions it is best to just have your fogs on and nothing else, I did that in my GTI, I loved it, I also like the stealth factor, but I'll just keep my lights the way it is now stock.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
dlroto said:
I think that in really bad foggy conditions it is best to just have your fogs on and nothing else, I did that in my GTI, I loved it, I also like the stealth factor, but I'll just keep my lights the way it is now stock.
It might be good to have your taillights on too, as the guy behind you might not have very good visibility in your direction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts