Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT - EyeSight
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a set of winter wheels, probably not getting TPMS, just wondering if we can disable the TPMS?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
nope, you can't.

I shouldn't say you can't. It was not easy on the early Subaru models that used standalone TPMS modules. It could be done but required a fair amount of DIY work, this thread has all those options listed through out it www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tpms-sensor-replacement-33939/

Now the newer models have integrated the TPMS into the keyless entry module in the rear quarter panel. As best I know no one has undertaken the task. You would be the first.

there is always the classic black tape mod.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
This is something they should steal from Toyota. The system in our Lexus has room for two sets of sensors. Our winter wheels have monitors in them, and you just switch over to that set with the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
As long as it's compatible with 2014 Foresters, the ATEQ Quickset will allow you to swap out sensor IDs for a summer and winter set. A bunch of STI guys use it.

·
Premium Member
8,064 Posts
This is something they should steal from Toyota. The system in our Lexus has room for two sets of sensors. Our winter wheels have monitors in them, and you just switch over to that set with the steering wheel controls.
GMs, I think is better. You can learn new sensor IDs with out the need for any tools. Simply set the module into a learn mode via a song and dance in the cabin. Ignition on, parking brake on, lamp switch of..... horn beeps 4 times. In order drop pressure in tires until horn beeps. Programing is done, air your tires back up.

As long as it's compatible with 2014 Foresters, the ATEQ Quickset will allow you to swap out sensor IDs for a summer and winter set. A bunch of STI guys use it.
These are fine options if the OP wants to buy sensors, which they don't.

I'm going to get a set of winter wheels, probably not getting TPMS, just wondering if we can disable the TPMS?
If you are buying sensors, the easiest thing is to by the EZ-Sensors that can clone the original TPMS sensor IDs allowing you to switch tires out at will with out the need to do a darn thing. No extra tools to buy, no need to pay a shop for a relearn each time, just buying sensors you would have to buy anyway and a one time cloning of the sensors.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
If you are buying sensors, the easiest thing is to by the EZ-Sensors that can clone the original TPMS sensor IDs allowing you to switch tires out at will with out the need to do a darn thing. No extra tools to buy, no need to pay a shop for a relearn each time, just buying sensors you would have to buy anyway and a one time cloning of the sensors.
This may just be my limited experience, but these don't seem to work well with Subaru's current TPMS implementation. I've seen varied results using them on 08+ Imprezas, with a nod going towards them not working right. Hence why people buy normal sensors and just use the Quickset to reprogram the IDs in the TPMS module.

·
Lifer
2015 Forester CVT
526 Posts
The ATEQ QuickSet IS compatible with the 2014 Forester 2.0 Turbo. When I did it a couple of weeks ago, the 2014 Forester was not in the vehicle list. The QuickSet tech folks had me use the 2013 Impreza selection as the model, and the device worked.

·
Premium Member
8,064 Posts
This may just be my limited experience, but these don't seem to work well with Subaru's current TPMS implementation. I've seen varied results using them on 08+ Imprezas, with a nod going towards them not working right. Hence why people buy normal sensors and just use the Quickset to reprogram the IDs in the TPMS module.
I have not had any issue with the ones I put in the Misses winter wheels, nor has any one else I know who has used them.

I just run with the light on in mine when the winters are on, but I am all about the misses having hers actually function.

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5X automatic
808 Posts
No need for the black tape fix, I used to run my Vibe all winter with the TPMS light on, after a few days I would get accustomed to the light and not even notice it.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iPremium 6sp Manual
49 Posts
I was a little concerned about the annoyance factor of TPMS and ended up getting sensors with my winters. I'm still waiting for Discount Tire to be able to flash the 2014's. Seriously, it's barely noticeable. A small, silent yellow light on the dash.

TPMS is a great feature, particularly for anyone who frequents rough roads. After an extended road trip out west last year, I picked up leaks on 3 out of 4 of my F150's tires. All at different times and on different roads.

They weren't immediately noticeable and I was able to get them fixed before hitting the highways. It provides some peace of mind. Don't bother disabling it and if you have it, you should be happy you do.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
RiffleKing- thanks for the post about Discount Tire not able to flash the 2014s. I had a new wheel/tire set installed by Discount today, with new after market TPMS and despite their attempting to program twice, I still have the TPMS alert. They are telling me the '14 is in their database. . sounds like they aren't setup yet to do it though? I'm curious what they told you. .

Thanks!

·
Lifer
2015 Forester CVT
526 Posts
An option to try

RiffleKing- thanks for the post about Discount Tire not able to flash the 2014s. I had a new wheel/tire set installed by Discount today, with new after market TPMS and despite their attempting to program twice, I still have the TPMS alert. They are telling me the '14 is in their database. . sounds like they aren't setup yet to do it though? I'm curious what they told you. .

Thanks!
For what it's worth, a tire dealer tried using the 2012 Impreza on on my '14 2.0 XT and that worked. I think his electronic tool was Snap On. Maybe if your Discount Tire dealer gives that a try, you (and the warning light) will be off and rolling.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts

Thanks!
I'm wondering if they lied about the '14 in their database. I just bought wheels and tires 2 weeks ago, and they didn't even have the '14 Forester stock wheel size. He told me he was going off the '13, which has a stock size of 16in, not 17in like our forester. Our invoice even says "The tire and/or wheel you have chosen is different from the original equipment provided with your vehicle and may change its handling or stability characteristics." because I had to give him the real stock tire and rim size.

In fact, if you go on the Discount Tire website, if you select model year 2014, they don't even have Subaru on the list, which means at least their customer facing system has no data for any '14 Subarus.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iPremium 6sp Manual
49 Posts

Thanks!
County,

I was told that it should be available by the end of the year. He showed me the little gadget he was using and how it only showed the 2013 model. I imagine that they just didn't know what they were talking about in your situation.

Skidplate,
Thanks for the tip! I will try to stop by the shop soon and have them try it.

Schrobo,

Yeah, I noticed that and just ordered through the local store. They didn't give me any problems and ordered the wheels and tires I wanted. My receipt just lists my vehicle as a 2013. I did have to go back and have them torque the wheels down a hair more to 2014 spec. They said to come in when the vehicle is in their system and they'll update the receipt.

I've been really happy with the service aside from this. They also refunded the cost of one sensor for my trouble.

Which wheels did you end up getting?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
I'm wondering if they lied about the '14 in their database. I just bought wheels and tires 2 weeks ago, and they didn't even have the '14 Forester stock wheel size. He told me he was going off the '13, which has a stock size of 16in, not 17in like our forester. Our invoice even says "The tire and/or wheel you have chosen is different from the original equipment provided with your vehicle and may change its handling or stability characteristics." because I had to give him the real stock tire and rim size.

In fact, if you go on the Discount Tire website, if you select model year 2014, they don't even have Subaru on the list, which means at least their customer facing system has no data for any '14 Subarus.
Could be the kid yesterday at Discount just didn't know what he was talking about. . different knowledgeable crew today though . . they told me the '14 wasn't in the system. I suggested trying the '12 or '13 Impreza and the '13 Impreza worked! Note though they needed the original rims with TPMS to do a de-program procedure first. Dialed-in and happy now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts