Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have problems with "Check engine" light. I don't know the code exactly, but service said it is something with exhaust gases.
First time (in October) Subaru service just reset error.
Second time they check exhaust gas. It was ok and they reset error.
Third time they check gases again, they check exhaust system in detail, change one rubber, clean injectors ($$$ :mad: ) and reset error.
Today it is the fourth time. They reset the light again and they don't have any idea. Just (they said MAYBE) that I can change the whole exhaust system (cca. 2000$). Uf, I'm mad.

Car works without any problems. No changes.

What can I do? Can I simple disable light - and how? I know that this light is for some different errors, but this can be checked with OBD. Aha, car was detailed checked with OBD, but everthing else is ok.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Re.

Dude, I cannot even fully understand what you are saying here, but why not start with year, engine type, mileage, etc...

CEL is there for a reason. Removing the bulb for a CEL is a lot like adding more pressure to just one tire so the front end goes back into "alignment."

·
Administrator
16,392 Posts
This sort of persistant, unresolved problem is a real pain in the A! However, I wouldn't disable the light. See if you can get the exact code from the dealer and, as suggested, post your model details and the code up here and see what folks have to offer. Hopefully, we can help you out of this annoying problem.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
I am going to take a guess here and say.

P0420, catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1 sensor 1)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Hondaslayer said:

It is Forester 2001 - 2.0 l motor.
And if I saw over the mechanics arm, then Hondaslayer has right about error - but I'm not sure.
The Subaru dealer gives his hands over - they said there are two more options:
1. Contact with Subaru to check if there could be some other software problem but they didn't do that before.
2. They can change the whole exhaust system (catalyst system...) but every other parameters said there is no error. And as man said - "I not sure that this error won't appears again". But for 2000$ I can't play.

I know this light are there for many errors (this errors can be read with OBD if light isn't present).

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
Hondaslayer said:

Your symptoms are just like those I had a year ago, and it was indeed a P0420 error code. It entitled me to a free replacement of the catalytic converter under the 8/80 federally mandated warranty on the emissions control system.

This warranty applies in the US. If you live elsewhere, I don't know what the warranty situation might be.

We encourage everybody to completely fill out their profile so that info like location and vehicle type appear automatically on every post. This helps the rest of us provide the most relevant advice. Click User CP at the top of any page and take it from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts