Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coolant wasn't changed a million miles ago but the coolant in the expansion tank looks like dirty water not coolant. I've already cleaned the tank once. Is this normal? It's slightly milky looking. There are no overheating issues etc and the oil is fine. It's a 2007 non turbo.

·
Registered
2006 forester xt
51 Posts
no it's not normal. check for white smoke from tail pipe, smell of exhaust from coolant. check the coolant in radiator (on cold car! warm radiator is pressurized)

headgasket is probably leaky.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
phast1 is right. I've owned too many Subarus in the last four decades not to recognize the dreaded and seemingly unavoidable HG virus. The only other suggestion that I can make, assuming that unfortunately the HG diagnosis is correct, is to make sure the replacement work is done properly and thoroughly. Four years ago in my last HG experience with a 2005 Outback, the Sub. mechanic pulled the engine, machined the heads, changed all the belts, etc., everything that might fail in the near- to mid-term, since my son was taking the car across the country to college and would need it for years to follow. The cost was about $2300 and since then the car has been driven over 50,000 miles and has needed no further engine work. It's currently at 175,000 kmi and in daily use. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts