Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the donut spare in my LGT with a full size 225/45/17 RE960 on one of the stock wheels. It just occurred to me that the RE960s are directional tires, so if I had a flat on the wrong side, would it be real bad to run a directional tire in the wrong direction for a short period of time?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I have a directional spare... but in the past I've been really psychic about foreseeing which side I'm going to blow out! :lol:

Get one for the right side, they're more frequently affected by punctures and such than the left. In general there's no harm in running them in the wrong direction for short time, though.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
3 Posts
They get mounted backwards all the time. One car mag even ran a test on the Goodyear Gatorbacks when they were first introduced and the car actually was MORE resistant to hydroplaning with the tires mounted backwards. Of course, if someone notices, then you have some explaining to do!

JB

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I run a directional spare as part of my winter set. When I'm taking long trips, I have a second full sized spare, so I can bring one for each side, just in case.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Even in heavy rain or snow I doubt that you would ever notice 1 tire is backwards.

However, if your spare is a retread, is mounted on the front, and the tread separates at 95mph then you will notice. Happened to me in a 85 Olds Delta 88 and sent me across all 3 lanes on the interstate before I regained control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts