Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Vendor
2017 Camaro SS 6spd Manual
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey Jake,

I didn't see mounting instructions specifically for the round pods... Only the standard with the bracket.

In the video, it had an WRX as one of the examples. How was mounted? Any adjustability on aiming?

@ 4:21 mark...
My apologies if I'm misunderstanding your question!

The WRX in our video has one of our new plug-and-play SS3 Fog Light Kits installed. Each kit features vehicle-specific brackets and a harness that connects the SS3 Pods to your factory fog light switch. The bolt-in brackets included in each kit are adjustable as well.

Unfortunately, we haven't yet released one for the 2013 Forester. Our engineering team just wrapped-up the SS3 Fog Light Kit for the 2014-2019 Forester, so I'm hoping for an update on prior models years in the coming weeks.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love my new SL1 low beams on '17 Forester. No one flashes me but I made sure the beams point in at correct angle. Silly question though hoping a someone can clarify as I cant find answer on forums. I thought when I turn on high beams, lows are completely off? Once I put DD SL1 in lows, I flip on stock highs and SL1 stays on with the highs. Is something wrong?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,722 Posts
I too noticed that when I installed SL1s on my 2018. So I checked my wife's 2016, still equipped with stock incandescents, and guess what I found — That's how it is! Outside bulbs for low, both sets for high!

It was a lightbulb moment. 💡

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,027 Posts
Unfortunately, the SL1s are barely as bright as the stock bulbs, so they would be a downgrade for the high-beams. No, thanks.

FWIW, I run SL1s in my '15 Legacy, but wouldn't do it again, not at the price they command, at least. They're not brighter than stock and don't cast a better beam, so the only real reason to buy these is for the nearly-stock output (that won't annoy other drivers) at a whiter (6000k) output. I actually slightly prefer the warmer stock bulb color (more practical color), but don't mind the whiter output of the SL1s, especially since they compliment the yellow DD SLF fogs I also have installed nicely.

//

I also found this post right before I came here, which I found interesting:

Diode Dynamics SL-1 Test

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tend to agree just basing on my initial before/after observation that I dont see substantial increase in range, but not worse either. For me the intensity within short-mid range seems bit better on SL1. May go HIR1 9011 to 9005 hack for highs considering reviews I read on it. I put yellow Lamin-x on fogs but want to get a tad brighter. Did I read not to put yellow LED through yellow tint and to whiter LED instead?

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,027 Posts
I tend to agree just basing on my initial before/after observation that I dont see substantial increase in range, but not worse either. For me the intensity within short-mid range seems bit better on SL1. May go HIR1 9011 to 9005 hack for highs considering reviews I read on it. I put yellow Lamin-x on fogs but want to get a tad brighter. Did I read not to put yellow LED through yellow tint and to whiter LED instead?

I'll likely do the same mod with my highs, but likely not for a long time, since I rarely use my highs where I live and for my commute, except for the DRL's, of course.

The DD LED fog bulbs are substantially brighter than the OEM bulbs. If I were you, I'd get rid of the overlay and simply buy the yellow version of your chosen replacement LED bulbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll likely do the same mod with my highs, but likely not for a long time, since I rarely use my highs where I live and for my commute, except for the DRL's, of course.

The DD LED fog bulbs are substantially brighter than the OEM bulbs. If I were you, I'd get rid of the overlay and simply buy the yellow version of your chosen replacement LED bulbs.
I may, but thinking it may be too bright & draw unwanted attention. Trying to find what OEM lumens are & compare to the XP80. You happen to know OEM fog lumens? Feel that could be the right middle ground between OEM and blazing bright.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium CVT
2 Posts
Hey all! For those of you who have installed the SL1's...what do you do with the LED driver? Do you just let it hang or do you tie it up to something? Just got my SL1 low beams in the mail today and I can't wait to install them!!! Thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,722 Posts
For the moment I have disconnected the DRL resistor. I have plans to install LED strips in place of the headlights to serve as DRL.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium CVT
2 Posts
For the moment I have disconnected the DRL resistor. I have plans to install LED strips in place of the headlights to serve as DRL.
Sorry I should have specified - im taking about the bit that comes from the SL1 that you plug into the factory low beam harness. (sorry that's still a poor explanation but idrk how else to explain)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,270 Posts
According to a poster on the Crosstrek forum, his state recently failed his Crosstrek's safety inspection because he had DD SL-1 bulbs in a halogen headlight housing. He dug into it a bit further and discovered that the SL-1 bulbs are no longer street legal. See postings #8 and #13 in this thread. Consequently DD is suspending the sale of LED headlight bulbs in the US: Street Use of LED Bulbs

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
624 Posts
I don't know the details of the custom spline adjustment, but based on the name it doesn't sound too onerous for them to put it into production.

·
Vendor
2017 Camaro SS 6spd Manual
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
According to a poster on the Crosstrek forum, his state recently failed his Crosstrek's safety inspection because he had DD SL-1 bulbs in a halogen headlight housing. He dug into it a bit further and discovered that the SL-1 bulbs are no longer street legal. See postings #8 and #13 in this thread. Consequently DD is suspending the sale of LED headlight bulbs in the US: Street Use of LED Bulbs
Unfortunately, this is true. Due to current DOT regulation being enforced this year, LED and HID bulbs should not be used as replacements in halogen headlight housings. Because of this, we are forced to seise the sale of both LED and HID headlight replacement bulbs. Unfortunately, this applies to all LED headlight bulbs and HID conversion kits, not just Diode Dynamics. Thank you for sharing the link.

-Collin

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,696 Posts
Hmmm ... wonder why the DOT is changing this process...? While there are hundreds of manufacturers out there that sell any and all types of LED bulbs here in the US, what is the issue with the @Diode Dynamic bulbs (and others that are similar in design) that are created to work with existing reflective structure to output the light correctly?

Or is this just the incandescent industry flexing muscles to stop the sale of bulbs that are usually better and far longer lasting than their stuff...?

·
Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
It could be a way to stem the flow of LED bulbs from out of country.... And those manufactured within the states are being caught up in the net...

Thinking aloud, but obviously way more complicated than that, or is it..... :unsure:

(No, not wearing my tin foil hat today)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts