Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Diode Dynamics LED interior lighting upgrade

16K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EcoAutoClean 
#1 ·
Just received my order of LEDs from Diode Dynamics (Diode Dynamics) for my 2014 XT Premium. Couldn't wait to get rid of the dim stock bulbs that I KNOW everyone else is irritated by as well. Especially the Cargo Area lighting. Terrible place to put a light in my opinion. My order is as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2003-2014 Subaru Forester Map Light LEDs (pair)
Color: White
Brightness: Stage 2
$14.99

2003-2014 Subaru Forester Dome Light LED
$7.49

2014 Subaru Forester Trunk Light LED
Brightness: Stage 3
$13.49

1998-2014 Subaru Forester License Plate LEDs (pair)
$7.49

2014 Subaru Forester Door Light LEDs (pair)
$11.99
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

REVIEW:
Installing the lights was a breeze. Literally 15 minutes TOPS for all lights.

Just pop off the housing with a flat-head screwdriver. CAREFULLY insert the screwdriver in the seam and wiggle slowly. The license plate light replacement is in the manual. Just follow the instructions in there.

The only "issue" was the cargo area Stage 3 12-LED panel. As stated in the description on the item's page, if you want to use the full 12-LED panel, you WILL have to mount it outside of the light housing with the included 3M Tape. Otherwise, like another user stated, you can cut off a row of 3 LEDs and trim the corners to get the panel to fit INSIDE the housing. I did this with great success. It is not as bright as 12-LEDs (obviously), but it is a vast improvement over the stock bulb. I can actually see my cargo area now.

With the Approach Lighting on the side mirrors, the White LEDs are the way to go for all interior lights as well as the license plate lights. They match almost perfectly.:bling: Best $60 spent. Will be looking to upgrade headlights soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There are just regular bulbs in the doors on the '14s. They're in a peculiar place, though and really don't have much use. I just couldn't leave those yellow and upgrade the rest to White LED. I didn't take pictures of the door/license plate because those aren't really "performance" upgrades. Those are more aesthetically pleasing. But the Stage 2 license plate LED is the perfect amount of light... not too much, not too little. Overall, I am ecstatic

#5 ·
I put Stage 2 bright whites in everything interior and the license plate, but the trunk light. It got the Stage 3 board. Outstanding results!

Thursday I replaced all four turn signal lamps and the stop/tail lamps with Stage 2s and the backup lamps with Stage 3s. Again, outstanding results, even if DD's version of Amber is a little pale for my taste. Installing the front turns is a PITB, as is the replacement flasher.

I have Stage 3s on the way for the marker and position lights. I went with 3s because of the 360 degree light, rather than for the increased brightness.

When those are installed, I will have replaced 20 of the 26 user replaceable incandescents with LEDs. The only ones not replaced are the headlights and fog lamps.:woohoo:

#8 ·
Did you get replacement lamps from the supplier? The only thing that causes fuses to blow is excessive current drain. I have a hard time understanding how LEDs could have a heavy enough drain to do that. The other possibility is a damaged socket or wiring.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.