Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few months ago I noticed a clunking noise when compressing the rear suspension but only while there was any load in the back of the car (people, cargo, etc.). I took a looksy under the rear and noticed the passenger side of the RSB where the bar curves up was contacting the lateral link bracket where the endlink connects on the passenger side. Noticing the relation between the two I concluded that adjusting the RSB from it's softest setting to it's stiffest may provide just enough clearance.
It did, although now I've opened up a whole 'nother can of worms because while changing my diff fluid this afternoon I discovered the end of the actual bar stock is now contacting the middle of the endlink and actually took a little chunk out of it. I've provided some pictures to help illustrate and elicit some suggestions and advice. The only solution I can think of is to switch the endlink to the other side because the bar stock is flush to the tab on that side all the while reversing the bolt so as to not interfere with the brake caliper nipple. Although upon further investigation it seems this would put the endlinks at a wicked angle and that can't be good for the bushings and may create more interference problems. Do I need to get rid of the Perrin bar all together? Is a whiteline bar shaped a little differently. Should I file down the endlink just enough to create some clearance because it seems that the contact is minimal?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. The pics are with the suspension at full extension which is why it looks a bit out of shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
kartboy sells washers that will help straighten the endlinks. is that a sti or wrx rsb?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an STI sway bar, also when the suspension is loaded they are not nearly as out of shape.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Send Tom a message, here Kartboy Help Zone: Contact us . He also is online frequently here so you can post it in his Vendor forum. Hopefully it is just a case of using the spacers as Neoshi mentioned and even though they list the spacers for the rear set-up it may work for the front as well.. With so many configurations there should be a solution, my bet is Tom will have the solution.

***send him the pics if you can or direct him here***

Keep us posted here when you find the solution.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Seems to me that the design of the bar implies that the end link goes on the other side. The end tab is welded aligned on the outside of the tubular section so there is nothing to interfere. The way you have it, it is going to rub unless you put a spacer to move things out of line.
The instructions that came with the bar was pretty explicit about mounting everything on the same side as the original setup.

That's how I installed mine (Perrin endlinks and a different reinforcement bracket)

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
OP, what swaybar mounts are you using? Forester or STi ones. You need to use STi ones as they are shorter. Endlinks need to be on the outside of the bar.

joe r

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miko,
You make a good point about the swaybar mounting tab being flush on the outside and your setup looks like it may work for me as well. Although my KB endlinks are a bit fatter and I like the idea of the LLWS being on the opposite side of the factory mounting tab and I don't know if they'll be room if I swap the endlink to the outside. None the less I will swap the endlinks to the other side and update ya'll with the results. Thank you.

Joe R,
I am running the perrin stout mounts for the STI. They came with the swaybar as a package.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I swapped my endlinks to the outside while making sure to send the endlink bolts through from the outside so the bolt head is on the outside and doesn't interfere with brake caliper bolt. I also snapped one of the u-bolts on my whiteline LLWS' but sourced some new ones similar to Miko's (I realize these LLWS' were a point of contention at one point but the fact of the matter was I needed some ASAP). Alas the third time's a charm and my endlink/RSB setup is finally sorted. Thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Mine are on the outside (I think that''s how the stock ones were) and they clear okay, but I think they may be the source of some banging noise coming from the back. I'll try to swap them for stockers, or maybe put them on the inside.

Stan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts