Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Differentiate new 2.5 engine vs old?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ForesterBill 
#1 ·
How can I differentiate a previous generation 2.5 engine (
Thanks

#4 ·
Every car manufacturer uses an engine code and that code is always on the block somewhere be it stamped, engraved, molded in, or on an attached plaque.

If you're looking for another way, perhaps by... model year/sight/sound/smell/feel/aura, etc... you'll have to be more specific and put more info in your post as to what you're looking for. Help us help you.

#5 ·
I bought the 2019 forester but in my country I get different configurations than other countries (previous gen harman kardon system...). I want to make sure the engine my car has is the new with direct injection and not the older 2.5L. My engine number is FB25CVZHTA.

Thanks for the help and the quick answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Edit: Maybe I didn't understand exactly what direct injection was. Looked it up... (modifying contents now) Direct injection means that the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder (and not into the passage leading to the head)

You can follow the fuel lines. If they go to the intake it would not be direct injection. If they appear to be going to the head you would have direct injection.

#11 ·
First, you are not saying which country you live in. Do you have an owner's manual? Look in the owner's manual at engine specifications and it should be stated there. Or look at your country's Subaru website and see what the engine specifications are. Many countries use a 2.0 liter engine as standard instead of the 2.5, and the FB engine dates back to 2011 in the US but only got direct injection in 2019. Horsepower went up fron 170 to 182 horsepower when the engine got DI. Did you buy your Subaru from a dealer? Could you ask someone there in the sales or service department? "In my country" is useless information since you do not name "your country" in your profile. Good luck, George (ps I prefer not having direct injection due to possible intake valve carbon deposits, and am grateful to have a 2017 Forester without DI.)

#13 ·
Thank you all for your answers.
The country is Colombia and I’m just curious how to differentiate the Direct injection from the previous engine. Can somebody share a picture of their direct injection engine so I can see the difference?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Thank you all for your answers.
The country is Colombia and I’m just curious how to differentiate the Direct injection from the previous engine. Can somebody share a picture of their direct injection engine so I can see the difference?
In case you are still trying to figure it out, I took just this picture of a friend's direct injection engine in his 2019 Forester...
Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part

#14 ·
I just looked at our '17 Foz and the port injectors are barely visible....they are covered by metal shields and are outside the plastic intake tubes. There is so much spaghetti and other junk on an FB engine that I don't think a simple engine pic is gonna help you. But, the FA engine in the BRZ has a unique combo of port and direct injection. I found a pdf article which has some diagrams showing the port and direct injectors. Basically, the direct injectors are inside the intake tubes on the top of the engine and the port injectors are outside the intake tubes. The Foz direct injection system will only have one set of injectors. Again, your owner's manual or your dealer should be able to provide you with an answer, but look at the pics in their article for where the 2 injectors will be, but they will likely be obscured up by covers and/or spaghetti. They will have a fuel rail (tube) running to them and a clip on wire harness to fire them. I'm betting your engine is DI. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70252&stc=1&d=1394577785

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.