Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the US but have a German 2013 Forester Activ (diesel) that I keep over there for road trips etc. I am heading over in a few weeks and want to bring some things over - a new audio head unit, maybe some speakers, and the rubber mat for the cargo area. Anybody know if the measurements of these are standard across regions? I kind of expect the head unit would be pretty standard, but how about the cargo bay? In other words if I ordered a cargo bay floor mat from Amazon for a 2013 US forester would it fit in the German one? Same thing with the head unit etc.

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
I'm in the UK and have bought various parts from US and Japanese suppliers. The basic body is the same everywhere so cargo mat will be fine. I have to watch for things which vary between LHD and RHD, but you won't have that problem!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
Mine is the 2.0 XS my2009 (DOHC non-turbo) and its wing mirrors are not found in USA models. So IMHO the best method is to go to some parts site like https://partsouq.com/ and compare the partnos for your vehicle with the USA ones. Or just get your partnos and then ask for availability.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,646 Posts
Click on my profile , then go to the blue wording that says ABOUT then fill in your car details , and this way everyone will know who they are talking to and what cars they have.
its so simple even I can do it .

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,143 Posts
I was under the impression US and EU and UK worked on different radio frequency spectrums. So what works in the US in regards to FM and XM/Satellite radio will not work in the EU/UK.
I might ofcourse be wrong.

In regards to floor mats, they're all the same measurements.

From memory, the UK and possibly EU towbars are beefed up versions with more attachment points compared to what the US uses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#5, I was just looking at Crutchfield, they have a category for European tuned head units, so I think there is definitely a difference.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
42 Posts
Unlike European radio frequencies, American frequencies have only odd numbers, i.e. 103.1, 103.3, 103.5... European frequencies go 103.1, 103.2, 103.3, 103.4...

From experience, this is that much of a problem and an American radio will pick up European frequencies, although sometimes a little distorted.

You might miss out on DAB though. That is a problem here in Norway at least as the FM network has been shut down, but I think most European countries still have FM radio.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
42 Posts
If you do, it could be an issue. People have different taste. Personally, I do like to listen to the radio, especially on longer trips. And on my morning commute, I like to listen to the news.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
888 Posts
Yeh, true, horses for courses an all that.

I suppose I can't stand most of the radio music, so tend to be bluetoothing 99% of the time..

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,143 Posts
I've got to admit, I do listen to the radio, typically for traffic news.

Absolute Radio keeps me reasonably sane in London Traffic at 6am

I tried the bluetooth streaming thing but found I used a ton of data on my phone

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
888 Posts
I Bluetooth Spotify and that's sort of most of the data I use..

Edit: however I don't spend hours driving daily, I may do 1-2 one day and none for another few days..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts