Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester 4 speed auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a JDM or slightly used engine to redo headgaskets, timing components and top end gaskets to drop in my 02 Forester since mine has 220,000 miles, bad headgaskets and developing a bottom end knock. Are there any key differences between all of the EJ25 engines that would prevent me from dropping any one of them in? I know the 257 is the turbo, and I want to keep it as original as possible (N/A). What are the differences between the 251 and the 253? I believe I have the 251 since it's an 02. Could I drop a 253 in? (plug and play?)

·
Registered
2013 crosstrek, Forester+
134 Posts
I bought a JDM engine for a toyo supra only to discover the JDM engines are for right hand drive, so the wiring harness is different. In my case, the engine was also bad. Might it be better to just rebuild what you have so you know it is done right?

·
Registered
2002 Forester 4 speed auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a JDM engine for a toyo supra only to discover the JDM engines are for right hand drive, so the wiring harness is different. In my case, the engine was also bad. Might it be better to just rebuild what you have so you know it is done right?
I would have never thought about right hand drive... I'm just considering the cost of the machine shop to completely redo the heads and rebuild the block. Another option I'm considering is to buy a new short block and completely redo the rest of the engine. Looking for the best option to do a complete job and make it reliable for another 100k miles without breaking the bank

·
Registered
2001 L auto
41 Posts
I think the main thing between 251-253 is one's MAP one's MAF, i'm fairly sure as long as you reuse your current intake manifold either one is fine, do Google search for ej251 v ej253, between all of the Subaru forums there should be plenty of threads with the info you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts