Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference. The turbo version felt a little tighter with less body lean. Was that just my imagination? If there is a differece, can the XT suspension be fitted to the X? I'm dont sure if just the springs are different or what. Hopefully, some of you know.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Not as far as I know, it is the same across the line. There may be differences between the years though.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Self levelling struts?

But I think springs and strut rates should be the same.
Any difference in feel is probably more due to the power difference.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Here in the US only the LLBean edition gets self leveling struts. The difference could also be tire pressure or age of the suspensions maybe.

·
Registered
399 Posts
on cars101.com, I noticed a difference in ground clearance between the X/XS and XT. The X/XS is 7.5" and the XT is 7.7" for the '04 & '05 model years. I don't know if this is attributed to differences in springs or not... but I would assume it is.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Tire/wheel combo I think

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Might also be the weight of the engine...

I thought the XT had bigger sway bars, but I guess that's not the case.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Peaty-
Noticing the LLBean edition this year gets self-levelling shocks...can one retrofit them to 04 FXT?
-Quick

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
AFAIK it would be a direct swap. FWIW I think Canada and other places get the Self Leveling rear standard across the board.(not including the Forester STi)

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
What year? I thought the SG's got them? Maybe it was everyone but North America?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Peaty-
Noticing the LLBean edition this year gets self-levelling shocks...can one retrofit them to 04 FXT?
-Quick
Seems like folks in Australia always want to get rid of their self-levellers, so maybe you could work a trade. Someone would have to have their car immobile for awhile though! The springs are different between SL and non-SL, so the springs have to be swapped too.

·
Registered
2003 XS 4EAT
3 Posts
Peaty, for a MY03 Forester XS would the issue of a self leveling rear suspension fall under Only on a LL Bean, or could the original owner have ordered it as an option? If my car is equipped with a SL setup I hope i understand correctly that as long as I replace both rear strut and spring for a X model I'll be okay?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Peaty, for a MY03 Forester XS would the issue of a self leveling rear suspension fall under Only on a LL Bean, or could the original owner have ordered it as an option? If my car is equipped with a SL setup I hope i understand correctly that as long as I replace both rear strut and spring for a X model I'll be okay?
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between SLS and non-SLS, so even if a previous owner had retrofitted your Forester with SLS struts you'd be able to tell by the additional cylinder on the strut shaft (see pics in this thread).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts