Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is any difference apart from the alloy sti y pipe. I have measured and placed them together and they seem exactly the same other than stock one is black and the other is silver and has sti written on the top. Read this article, it mentions the v5/6 but no reference to the sti version.
Browser Warning
It is going on anyway before mapping, just wanted to know.

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
In part one of the article it mentions that the V4 sti flows slightly better than the standard V4 and both better than the standard V5

Browser Warning

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
The actual V5/6 intercoolers are the same for UK and STI variants. The STI gained from the metal pipe work which flowed better from the UK's plastic Y pipe. (Subaru used the STI pipe on the PPP cars too).
Because the STI pipes were rare in the early days Samco produced a Y pipe that was a direct replacement and flowed as well as the STI one.

Im sure I was told by someone (Might have been Bob Rawle) that the V5/6 intercooler flowed better than the V3/4 intercooler.
I know for definite that the newage WRX intercooler is better than both of them and the Newage STI is better still.

Andy

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The inlet tank on the STi is very very slightly different, but the benefits of that are negligeable, the bulk of the benefit comes from the inlet piework which will fit the non STi part (I have the Pipework from a 97 STi on my 99 Impreza turbo TMIC), while the bare 97/98 MY coolers flow better then the 99/00 versions, that advantage reduces significantly when the inlet pipework is added, it would appear that the 99/00 has more internal finning for better heat transfer hence the increased 'drag'.

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts