Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Diff Guard from Prodrive, any good?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Byrdman 
#1 ·
I was thinking of buying this diff guard from Prodrive to my new Forester.

http://www.prodrive.com/products_level2.html?id=51&p=12

The original one offered by Subaru seems to give better protection but it's just ugly. Is the one from Prodrive anything good or just more decoration then function? It woild for sure look good on my black Forester.

#2 ·
I broke down and got one. it looks really nice.
Looking back I should have bought it last and put brakes/suspension first.
My thoughts are if you are heavy into off-roading/rally then go ahead and get it, but other wise put it at the back of your list.
I think I can post a picture if you want me too.
Hope this helps

#3 ·
I dont know too many offroad guys who use them - the diff is not too exposed.
A metal sumpguard is a far better investment in protection - I know plenty who have scratched, dented or broken their sump guard yet never touched the rear diff on the ground.

#4 ·
I suspected that it was more of an gadget :) but it looks cool!
Sump guard is really what I need. Is the original from Subaru any good? I guess that importing from Australia to Sweden is not an option and I don't know any other brands. Don't have the drawing either to order one in a small mechanical workshop.

Got my Forester hanging on the belly in mud twice already. Asked "the crew" to get out and drove out backwards in the tracks without problems. The "splash guard" supplied originally i snot worth much.

#5 ·
The plastic ones wont offer any decent protection. They are actually more of a liability in sand, where they can tear off.

I know a few people who have made their own. If thats not you, then you could still get one custom made for a reasonable price.
And yes they are great - mine has quite a few scrapes on it, but we have very rocky conditions around here.

#6 ·
When you guys make your own guards, do you put louvers or any way for air to flow? I remember reading on a post that Silke wrote that her temperature went up with the guard on. I just don't remember if it was engine or transmission temp...or both.

I don't off road but one good hit of freeway debris, like a tire tread, and that plastic shield is gone.

How do you keep things cool?

Thanks.

#7 ·
It was both the oil & trans temps that went up. Not a dramatical increase in and of itself, but enough to contribute to heatsoak in very high ambient temps and under high load. Intergrating some louvers into a skidplate might be a good idea.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.