Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza WRX MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately a week ago on my way to lunch I was sitting at a red light and my forester xt limited (auto) died like someone had reached over and pulled the keys out of the ignition. No stumble, no noise, just plain shut off. Immediately tried starting it back up as the light turned green and it would only dry crank with no firing or attempted to start. Towed it home and originally suspected the fuel pump which I promptly replaced with a 255lph unit which ended up changing nothing. Since I already had new spark plugs that I had been putting off putting in (because who likes doing boxer engine spark plugs) I figured it couldn't hurt to get that out of the way as well. This is when I learned all of the coils aren't firing so rather than a no fuel issue, I'm having a no spark issue. As a quick reference guide to what steps I've taken, I have
1. New fuel pump
2. New spark plugs
3. New crank sensor (thankfully had a spare to try)
4. Checked all fuses (none blown)
5. Cleaned all grounds I've come across
6. Checked timing (all lined up perfect)
7. Checked crankshaft timing sprocket for any missing teeth (none missing)
8. Connected green plugs and tried diagnostic mode (no codes beside maf codes because it was unplugged at the time for spark plugs and secondary air pump which has been faulty for over a year)
9. Compression sounds fine (haven't tested yet)
10. Original battery was fine but checked with my redtop optima for kicks and giggles with no change.
And possible ideas, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily and driving the autocross SM prepped WRX to work everyday can but fun but not super comfortable and I can imagine my neighbors aren't happy every morning. Plus I can't exactly stick my 6 month old daughter in a MOMO bucketseat.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,065 Posts
Have you checked to see if the ECU is powering on? I had a similar issue, same symptoms. When i went to plug in my OBD2 reader it would not power on whe nplugged into the car with the car on. In my case fuse SBF5 had blown in the engine fusebox - result of a shoddy o2 sensor install shorting, by some idiot shadetree (ahem...)

·
Registered
2003 Impreza WRX MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you determine there was no spark?
By taking one of the coil packs with a sparkplug in it and grounding against the engine block and turning it over. No spark. If I'm being dumb and this wasn't a good test, how would i go about testing correctly?

·
Registered
2003 Impreza WRX MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked to see if the ECU is powering on? I had a similar issue, same symptoms. When i went to plug in my OBD2 reader it would not power on whe nplugged into the car with the car on. In my case fuse SBF5 had blown in the engine fusebox - result of a shoddy o2 sensor install shorting, by some idiot shadetree (ahem...)
I believe it is, all the dash lights come on including the check engine light and it powers on my accessport and I can still access everything from it. Is this still something I should look into with that in mind?

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,128 Posts
Check the Cam shaft sensor

Good test for no spark. Check the Cam /Crank shaft sensors. If the computer cannot determine the timing of the engine, it won't fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts