Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 forester
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first attempt to change the automatic transmission fluid on a 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5XT after reading all the helpful tips & tricks here. It is definitely a task that I can manage so I think.:bananapartyhat:
I am almost certain this is the correct drain plug and filter. Especially the filter next to it said transmission filter. The funny thing is after refill (3-1/2 quarts) fluid into the dipstick hole and drove around the block. The transmission sound rough and sluggish so I check the fluid level which was slightly overfilled. Therefore, I went back to the drain plug to release the excess but found it empty. Where has the fluid gone? Did I really mess it up this time?:icon_question:
I did not drain the engine oil by mistake since I do my own oil change regularly. Furthermore, I did not drain the differential fluid neither sine it requires T70 star bit that I do not have.
Please help. I am carless and stranded. Thank you in advance for all your assistance. God bless.
I can not post URL of the relate photos here due to minimum post not met. May be I can PM when you response and post for me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
You need to check the level with the engine running and hot. Put it through all of the gears slowly and check in Park..engine running"

Just to make sure you have enough in check it cold with engine running. There is a mark for "Cold" adjust the level and then check it "hot" and use the at mark on the dipstick. If you drained it all out...it takes about 6 ounces short of a gallon.

That is a good number so if you put 4 quarts in and then drained off one quart you need to add about a quart. I believe the XT is the same as the X.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
You refilled the front diff. You will need to go to autozone and buy a T70 torx socket to drain it and refill with gear oil. Check owners manual for correct fluid. Oh, and refill trans too.

·
Registered
2006 forester
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. You guys rock.
I will correct the problem first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for your comments. Cheers.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
And you've come to the right place.

Welcome aboard.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Buy extra gear oil (75W90) and do a "rinse" cycle to get ATF out of the front diff.

Drain what is in there, fill with fluid, drive around the block. Drain fluid, refill, drive around the block. Drain again, then refill, and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Thanks Bac. That's a good idea that we all forgot to mention. I love this place:;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts