Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It became noticeable at 111,000 miles although a look under the engine shows that it’s been going on for a while. I was 300 miles overdue for an oil change and I noticed that while highway driving if I hit the brakes my oil pressure light would flash on for a split second. It would happen so fast I thought I was just seeing things but then it light up for a good few seconds. Then my engine revved and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Okay not really but I did get a CEL, traction warning, and a blinking cruise control light. The code was something about a solenoid, don’t remember the exact code but it was related to low oil level. I got an oil change and everything seems back to normal, but this was the first time it appeared to me that my engine had lost oil like that. I jumped under the car to see if I could see where it was coming from and it’s a gross oily mess down there. My first thought was valve cover and spark plug tube seals, but I had misfires and had gotten those replaced at 90,000 miles. They appear to be bone dry. I don’t think it’s the crank seal since the front part or the engine looks dry too. It’s all wet with oil in the back near the manifold exhaust and the oil filter had a drip on it too.

Does anybody know what these round seals are in the picture? There is one between the oil pan and filter and another on the driver side near the manifold. The one on the driver side had a large oil drip. The one between the oil pan and filter is too gunked up to tell but I feel like these _might_ be the source of leak. Has anybody encountered anything like this before? I hope it’s not a head gasket. I’ll probably take it in to a mechanic for an official diagnosis this weekend, just want to know what I’m in for. The oil pan is pretty rusty in front but seals look good. It was wet with oil on the back of the pan. Didn’t notice anything but a drip or two when parking on driveway so it’s not a profuse leak but clearly something is weeping oil.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,994 Posts
My first thought is leaking head gaskets, but that, of course, is just my guess. The usual way to verify this is to thoroughly clean the area & watch the area to see where the oil is leaking from.

Does anybody know what these round seals are in the picture?
I believe those are oil galley plugs or a core plug where an engine block heater is installed. The threads are coated with silicone sealant & threaded in.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
It became noticeable at 111,000 miles although a look under the engine shows that it’s been going on for a while. I was 300 miles overdue for an oil change and I noticed that while highway driving if I hit the brakes my oil pressure light would flash on for a split second. It would happen so fast I thought I was just seeing things but then it light up for a good few seconds. Then my engine revved and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Okay not really but I did get a CEL, traction warning, and a blinking cruise control light. The code was something about a solenoid, don’t remember the exact code but it was related to low oil level. I got an oil change and everything seems back to normal, but this was the first time it appeared to me that my engine had lost oil like that. I jumped under the car to see if I could see where it was coming from and it’s a gross oily mess down there. My first thought was valve cover and spark plug tube seals, but I had misfires and had gotten those replaced at 90,000 miles. They appear to be bone dry. I don’t think it’s the crank seal since the front part or the engine looks dry too. It’s all wet with oil in the back near the manifold exhaust and the oil filter had a drip on it too.

Does anybody know what these round seals are in the picture? There is one between the oil pan and filter and another on the driver side near the manifold. The one on the driver side had a large oil drip. The one between the oil pan and filter is too gunked up to tell but I feel like these _might_ be the source of leak. Has anybody encountered anything like this before? I hope it’s not a head gasket. I’ll probably take it in to a mechanic for an official diagnosis this weekend, just want to know what I’m in for. The oil pan is pretty rusty in front but seals look good. It was wet with oil on the back of the pan. Didn’t notice anything but a drip or two when parking on driveway so it’s not a profuse leak but clearly something is weeping oil.

Judging from the buildup of crud evident in the picture I would think oil, of some type, has been leaking for a while too. I would either clean the area spotless with brake cleaner and / or a pressure washer (use some care depending on the washer), and /or a trip to a self-serve car wash, and then look for the sources of the leak(s).

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,334 Posts
I agree with karlaudi. Clean it up first and it will be a lot easier to determine the source of the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts