Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a concept that today's auto makers have lost track of.

- A hard to deal with item should not stand in the way of dealing with an easier to deal with item.​
- A non-critical item should not stand in the way of dealing with a critical one.​
- Failure of a non-critical item should not lead to failure of a critical one. (Not quite DFM, but an associated concept.)​

I'm sure there are others. We have seen many of these in our Foresters.

- Insufficient clearance to change sparkplugs.​
- Hard to replace foglight bulbs. Subaru even confesses to this one in the Owners Manual.​
- And in the final category, failure of the (non-critical) water pump should not lead to failure of the (super-critical) timing belt.​

I'm starting this thread to accumulate your experiences with this situation — Forester, Subaru, or anything else. Go for it!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've already identified my major Subaru issues. Here's one from another world.

My wife once drove a Geo Prizm, before her first Subaru. It was a darn good car. (A rebadged Toyota actually.) But in the course of working on it I discovered one major DFM fault. The brake line ran through a solidly attached bracket on the struts. So to replace a strut, you had to open up and then bleed the brakes. Bad DFM!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
Most any horizontally opposed engine will be difficult to work on. And almost any transverse V6 will be impossible to work on.. The rear plugs are often virtually buried beneath manifolds. Water pumps are often buried at the bottom of the engine, right where the suspension and frame crossmembers are.

And given the plethora of computer management and piping and the more aerodynamics play in shrinking the front sections of cars, you're going to have even more limited access to repairs. As panels are added to the underside of the car to improve airflow (and therefore, MPG economy). Most cars are no longer designed for owner maintenance... is this a way to keep dealers in play? Maybe... but that's a give n take argument that would be nearly impossible to prove one way or the other....

And honestly? the "shade tree" mechanic is slowly going away. People today view their vehicles more as an appliance and less as a member of the family.

At least Subaru still does make some owner maintenance possible. Mind you, major items like water pumps are not typically considered "maintenance" for most.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,005 Posts
How about the cumbersome, little plastic cover that hides the engine oil drain plug that has resulted in some draining the CVT by mistake.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,647 Posts
I have to agree with @Kevin (not that it's all that unusual, drop bears not withstanding) that Subies are really pretty good for maintenance.. All fluids are easily accessed and/or located on perimeter.. The oil filter on the FB 25 is right there when you open the hood (by comparison, my neighbor and I searched for 15-20 minutes and never found the oil filter on his 08 Envoy.. but then everything on that car appears to be designed to make any work on it as difficult as possible.)
The fact that the Subie's entire front end needs to be removed to access the horn is kind of ridiculous, but then, even that isn't all that hard to do, and doesn't take any special tools. But then there is the giant Torx fitting for the front diff...
I've done most of the maintenance on my cars (and do all of it on my Foz) and I would rate Subaru very high on the result factor of DFM - It is easier to maintain than most, IMHO.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somebody bought one of the relatively uncommon T70 sockets, used it, figured they wouldn't need it for many kmiles into the future, and offered it up as public property. Use it, post a picture of it at a local landmark, and send it along to the next person who asks for it.

It made quite a journey.

·
Super Moderator
1,867 Posts
This one?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sure looks like a revival of the original thread from the old site. Good find!

I guess I should have said T17.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts