Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hey,

Wondering if any of you out there running the Depo/TYC black housing (sport) headlights have had any good results long term. I know that this has been covered on the forum before, but the information I'm finding is fairly old.

Most, if not all of the reports are the same, somewhere in between a few weeks and a few months the housings begin to experience water infiltration. Just curious if anyone who has purchased these recently has had any better results?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
940 Posts
I have used these for retrofitting, they always come poorly sealed from the factory so it isn’t surprising that people have problems with moisture getting into them. Sealing them up yourself so that they don’t leak is pretty easy.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@The Tinman Rides Again

Does this re-sealing solution involve baking the assemblies to remove the lens as to be sealed from the inside? Or can these be sealed with silicone from the outside? Just curious, because if I have to remove the lenses to do the job I will probably just pull my stock ones apart to paint and re-seal them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
450 Posts
My folks put TYC replacement lamps on their Tundra recently (6-mo.?). They don't seem to be fogging up yet.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is precisely why I ask. I have used Depo/TYC lamps in several vehicles over the years, including my old Impreza with zero issues. Quality always seemed to be top notch. However, these particular units for the 06-08 Forester have nothing but bad reviews across the board due to water infiltration. Some say they have lasted a year or two before fogging, some say weeks.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
450 Posts
To be completely honest, I would never install aftermarket lamps on my car. Working in the new vehicle design side of the auto industry, I understand how/why aftermarket parts are less expensive.

My folks didn't ask my opinion when they bought the lamps though...

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
Set of DEPO units on my FXT, 3 years now no leaks, no issues, no problems.
Set of the "TYC" units from rock auto on the 2001 camry I have, one year now, again no leaks no issues what so ever.

I kind of suspect a lot of people (NOT EVERYONE) who downtalk the aftermarket stuff, does so from what they have seen on the internet, not real life experience with whatever the part is. They just automatically assume "OEM must be better because the manufacture knows what they are doing" (EJ ring lands anyone?)

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear some positive feedback for a change in regards to these lamps.

I was trying to avoid a philosophical discussion on OEM vs Aftermarket for the very reason you mentioned, hearsay, gossip, rumors, etc... but it always seems to be a point of contention. Also I suspect that the OEM assemblies are manufactured by Depo anyway. It's very doubtful that Subaru makes their lamp assemblies in house.

And just for fun, I'll see your EJ ring lands and raise you a Honda Ridgeline that spontaneously combusts if you take it to the car wash....because soap. I don't profess to know the ins and outs of manufacturing but it seems possible for any company to make a lemon.

·
Registered
940 Posts
@The Tinman Rides Again

Does this re-sealing solution involve baking the assemblies to remove the lens as to be sealed from the inside? Or can these be sealed with silicone from the outside? Just curious, because if I have to remove the lenses to do the job I will probably just pull my stock ones apart to paint and re-seal them. Thanks in advance.
Not necessarily. That is the best way to do it. You could also probably get away with lining the channel where the lamp splits apart with a good silicone sealant and call it a day.

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is precisely why I ask. I have used Depo/TYC lamps in several vehicles over the years, including my old Impreza with zero issues. Quality always seemed to be top notch. However, these particular units for the 06-08 Forester have nothing but bad reviews across the board due to water infiltration. Some say they have lasted a year or two before fogging, some say weeks.
Just a guess but: It may be that the channel, channel/ridge where the rear & front plastics mate is more geometrically complicated for the forester headlights than it is on headlights for other cars that have a simpler design. Both times that I have opened these up: the amount of butyl sealing the channel has been pretty minimal and the channel is quite deep/wide in places. It doesn’t surprise me that people have problems with leaks. Everything else about them has been fine when compared to OEM lamps I have opened. There’s basically no difference otherwise.

For those that haven’t had problems with leaks: I wonder if you just got lucky or live in a hot/dry climate. Or a cold climate that is arid due to moisture all being frozen. Both times I’ve opened these up the sealant has been obviously inadequate.

One of the pluses of less sealant on these aftermarket units is: much easier to split open and clean out if you are doing a retrofit! Cleaning all of that butyl out of the channel is a mess if there is a proper amount of sealant in there.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@The Tinman Rides Again

I can dig it. Thanks for the information in regards to sealing the units.

It's anyone's guess as to the bad reviews. It is the internet after all. I still wager there are more units out there without problems as opposed to those with issues. But figured it was worth an ask for real world experience vs a disgruntled amazon customer. As it is my contention that most people are only inclined to write a review when they have a negative experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts