Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Premium with the multi-function display.

In the display I can change vehicle settings. One of these settings is the rear defrost timer. It has two options; 15 minutes and continuous.

When I set it to continuous, it displays "setting complete", but never actually makes the change. If I go immediately back into the setting it is back to the factory default 15 minute setting. And the defrost button light goes out right around 15 minutes. :icon_eek:

The interior light setting works fine, following the same procedure. Any suggestions?

Edit: I also have the All Weather Package, in case that makes a difference in the behavior of the setting.

Edit: Video link

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium 6mt
78 Posts
After you change it to continuous, you have to arrow down to "Set" and hit the okay button.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After you change it to continuous, you have to arrow down to "Set" and hit the okay button.
I do click the set, it then says setting complete and takes me back to the menu screen. If I go back into the defroster setting, it is instantly back to 15 minutes.

I'll get pictures of the process I follow tonight and post them. It does save the change for the interior light timer, just not the defrost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's odd. It looks like you are getting the screen in step 6 on page 3-74 which means that the setting was saved.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/71914/pdf/ownerManual/071914_2014_Forester/MSA5M1403BrevSTIS_9.pdf

I set mine in continuous following the steps on page 3-74 in the link above and got the "Setting complete" like you stated and it stays in continuous.
Yes! Exactly as shown in the bottom-right image of page 3-74. The "Setting complete" displays for a few seconds, then it sends me back to the image in the lower-left of page 3-74.

If I go back into the "Defogger" screen the setting is back to 15 minutes.

I've tried with the car off, but the key in the "On" position, and with the car running. No difference.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
148 Posts
Rather than a series of pictures, here's a YouTube video I took with my phone. Apologies on the low quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlQZV3DSSU
That's how I did it on mine. However, I don't remember if mine took me back up one menu automatically like yours did. I'll double check for you later during my lunch break or on my drive home.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's how I did it on mine. However, I don't remember if mine took me back up one menu automatically like yours did. I'll double check for you later during my lunch break or on my drive home.
Interestingly, the dealer just tried it on a lot-vehicle and had the same results that I do. I asked them to call Subaru.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did exactly what you did. After setting complete it does automatically go back up one menu. When I go back in, it keeps what I set it to. I tried it with the defroster on and off and works either way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did exactly what you did. After setting complete it does automatically go back up one menu. When I go back in, it keeps what I set it to. I tried it with the defroster on and off and works either way.
Thanks for checking/verifying. At least it is not something I am doing wrong.

Do you have the All-Weather package (heated seats/mirror and wiper defrost)? Just curious if that could be a difference between cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for checking/verifying. At least it is not something I am doing wrong.

Do you have the All-Weather package (heated seats/mirror and wiper defrost)? Just curious if that could be a difference between cars.
Yes I have the All-Weather-Package. I have the 2.5i Limited model and I believe it comes standard on the Limited.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I have the All-Weather-Package. I have the 2.5i Limited model and I believe it comes standard on the Limited.
I had forgotten that was standard on the Limited. Thanks again for the help. Hoping the dealer hears back from Subaru.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had forgotten that was standard on the Limited. Thanks again for the help. Hoping the dealer hears back from Subaru.
No problem at all. Although, I really didn't help resolve your issue.

Hopefully your dealer figures out what's going on and fixes it for you.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Exact same issue as OP. Setting does not keep.

EDIT: More info: All Weather Package Manual Premium. Setting does not stick, and defroster does not stay on past 15 minutes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No response from the dealer, yet. I'm going to try contacting SOA directly.

Winter is through the worst weather for us now, but I'd like to have it run continuous before next winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's all I've gotten from Subaru so far:

"From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:40 PM
To: trckrhntr
Subject: RE: (SR #:1-4989961186) Vehicle Problem

Good Afternoon, trckrhntr:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. I am sorry that concerns to your 2014 Subaru Forester's continuous defogger setting prompted your contact, but I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please provide me with some information on how you are going about setting this option? Additionally, can I please have the name of the dealership that you are working with so that I may be in contact with them as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth | Subaru of America, Inc | Customer/Dealer Services"​

I sent them the link to the video I created.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dealership sent me this:

Sent: Friday, February 07, 2014 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: Subaru Forester

I have no as of yet. I tried it in the forester rental we have and it worked totally fine.

Sent from my iPhone

--- --- --- --- --- ---
On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:20 AM, trckrhntr wrote:

Any updates?

trckrhntr

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2014/02/05 1:24 PM (GMT-05:00)

I will. I will see if they have an answer.

Thanks

--- --- --- --- --- ---
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM, trckrhntr wrote:
D'oh! Can you guys contact Subaru?

trckrhntr

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2014/02/05 11:02 AM (GMT-05:00)

I went into a Forester and I tried doing the exact thing and it wouldn't change for me either.

--- --- --- --- --- ---
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM, trckrhntr wrote:
I put up a video of the steps I take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlQZV3DSSU

Every time I go back in it still says 15 minutes.

--- --- --- --- --- ---
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Are you sure you are saving your changes?

--- --- --- --- --- ---
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM, trckrhntr wrote:
Have you had a chance to look into this issue? All other settings “take”, just not the defogger setting.

--- --- --- --- --- ---
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:35 PM
To: 'My Auto'
Subject: RE: Subaru Forester

Ran into an odd behavior today. I set the defroster from 15 minutes to continuous. The defroster still shut off after 15 minutes. I changed it again, same revert to timed. I changed it a third time, and immediately went back into the setting. It was reverted to 15 minutes. I’ll re-read the manual, but is there something you know of that I am missing?

trckrhntr​

1 - 20 of 49 Posts