1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Everyone,

Now the Foz seems to be behaving itself, the laptop has been naughty.:biggrin:

Every time I try to defragment it, the laptop crashes.

The little Blue window in the corner in a Dos sort of way then, zap crash.

Restarts & tells me it has recovered from a serious error.

I have managed to do an ESET Complete PC Scan no problem.

I have tried the Microsoft on line help, Useless!!!

Any of you PC Gurus got any ideas how to solve this please?

Many thanks.

kind regards

Alan MaC

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
stop doing it then!!!

if your hard drive is formatted using NTFS then you dont need to defrag really. My machine has been on for nearly 5 years and i've never defragged.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
It is true that defragmenting a hard drive is moreover a thing of the past, I still try to do it about once a year. The best and most thorough way to do so is to pull it and run it as a slave on a separate machine so no files are in use while the defrag is going on.

From your description, it sounds like the defrag is hitting a certain file on your hard drive and crashing. Maybe your drive has bad sectors...It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a hard drive test on the machine if you have a bootable hiren's disc or other hard drive testing tools around. I always back up my stuff before a hard drive test because it will run across many sectors and I have seen before where I cannot access a drive after a thorough test of the disk.

Let me know what you find out,

-Joe

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Both,

So I don't need to defragment then??

I only did it because I thought it freed up space & made it run quicker??

Sod it, I'll stop it.

What's your thoughts on Disc Clean Up, is that neccessary too?

Thanks for the replies/

Regards

AM

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
disc clean up yes. defrag no.

back in days of olde, hard drives needed to be defragged and without going too technical if you deleted a file it would leave a space on the hard drive. imagine these dashes are your hard drive

no deleted files ---------------------------------------
with deleted files -- -- - - ------- - - - ---- - - -- -- - - -

you would defrag to remove the spaces and end up like this

after defrag -------------------------

modern disk formatting kinda (simplistically) does this automatically by making new files fill the spaces.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hmm...I say opposite. Maybe I'm too old school.

Over the years I've handled computer issues (troubleshooting) for a few organizations...and I would say that defragging is critical to a hard drive's vitality...and I'd do it more than once a year.

While it's true that if you don't defrag, your comp might work without issue, you certainly erode the speed and life of the drive dramatically. I don't think any computer-minded individual would ignore the importance of defragging at least once in a while.

That said, if you are trying to defrag and getting a blue screen, your hard drive MAY be on the fringes of meltdown. It is possible that a missing sys file is causing the blue screen. Also, bad sectors. Leads to my next question. Have you been updating the operating system? If no, start there. If yes, perhaps a reinstall of the operating system may solve your problem. Are you attempting the process with the power cord connected? If so and you continuously get a blue screen, then yes, don't try to defrag. Instead, back up every ounce of important information, make it a slave and try to defrag using that route.

And maybe prepare yourself for the worst-- having to swap hard drives and re-install everything.

Three basic comp (PC) rules to live by (my monthly regimen) -
1. clean the disk (run Disk Cleanup)
2. update the OS
3. defrag the hard drive
4. clean the registry

Never had an issue, never compromised speed.

Best of luck! :Banane37:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
Check your memory - Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic (Free)

Check your hard drive - GRC|Hard drive software (Not Free But..torren..share)

memtest86 is pretty damn great to finding problem with the ram.
- I would run a complete test with only a single ram stick installed and then when completed remove that stick and insert the second stick and redo a complete scan.

Spinrite is probably the only real software I would use to check the vitality of a drive.

The default windows defrag software is ****.. there is alot of other defrag software that are pretty good.
I would only point to one http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,257 Posts
X2 for Memtest86 & GRC's Spinrite. There are other alternatives but these two are top notch programs.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
Hmm...I say opposite. Maybe I'm too old school.
1. clean the disk (run Disk Cleanup)
2. update the OS
3. defrag the hard drive
4. clean the registry
From my (steam powered) computing support days I'll second bellatech and add in/re-order these (extra) steps :-

a) Before you start the defrag you must ensure that there is at least 10%, and preferably 20% free space to allow your computer to work effectively.
b) move your music & photos to a second (external) HD to free up space on the system disk.

c) disconnect from the internet & close any unused applications.

d) clean the disk (Disk Cleanup), but also delete unused files & programs inc old versions, clear all browsers of temp files/cookies/etc. Empty the Waste Bin.
e) clean the registry (3rd party s/w).
f) run windows ChkDsk (very good at repairing all sort of things); If it detects errors run it again, and again, until it has a clear pass. But you need to re-boot and watch the screen to check the results.

g) as a temp measure, set the Page/Swap file as Fixed & to the Min allowed.
h) check & empty the Waste Bin if necessary.
i) DeFrag - the MS DeFrag is not ideal and usually takes several passes for the best results; I would strongly recommend you use 3rd party s/w.
j) re-set the Page/Swap file as Fixed & as a minimum to the same size as your RAM ie: 1Gb of RAM = 1Gb of Page File.

k) once you're happy that your computer is working OK, re-connect to the internet and update the OS, and keep it updated, as well as Virus/Spyware /Malware checked.

Another recommendation is to create yourself as a Power User and DO not login as an Administrator/Admin User for day to day use. Those of us that have supported Windows systems on a commercial basis, know the extra grief caused by users that pronounce "I have a PC at home & know what I'm doing" :shake:, and then insist on Admin rights on their work PC because they can support themselves :Banane37: [rant over]

As previous posts have recommended, use 3rd party s/w. On my home PC I actually spend money :icon_eek: and use Ashampoo WinOptimizer 6.x for DeFrag/Registry/etc.

The usual arrangement Alan, I'll add this consultancy to your tab :biggrin:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I use Auslogics Disk Defrag it is much faster than the in-built MS defragger.

My regime for our 2 x PC's is:

1. Clean out email program of all Sent & Deleted emails that are not required.

2. Run Disk Clean.

3. Check NOD32 & Malwarebytes programs to ensure both up to date.

4. Run NOD32 & Malwarebytes Scans.

5. Defrag the HDD (C:\) with Auslogics Disk Defrag.

6. When the defrag is completed create a NEW Acronis True Image image of C:\ and transfer a copy to my wife's PC and my 160GB Caddy.

I generally run the above processes on a Sunday night when all is quiet on the net and incoming emails are virtually a non event.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks,

Bought the Disc Memtest 86 & Auslogics download.

It still crashes on even Auslogics Defrag Programme, I hope the Memtest86 CD sorts it out.

As Miker says It doesn't need defragging anymore.

Laptop a lot quicker now I have freed up as load of disc space with Auslogics.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Kind regards

Alan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts